The Toaster — Coop Blog

FalseToast

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Southern Ontario
I don’t post here as much as I want to, but I figured to start a post that I update whenever I remember it exists.

For now, I definitely want to show off my silkies! Given all—except one—are white, I’ve named them… more generically.

IMG_1183.jpeg
The tall boy is Cloud! He’s a little shy and has no idea what he’s doing when it comes to the ladies. While he does his best, he ends up on the wrong end and only does his wing dance for the roosters. Still, I absolutely love him.

I have only one hen—minus the one that’s been in the house since early February recovering from wry neck. She’s in the middle, squeezing her way to the food. Her name is Marshmallow! She’s the only one out of the three that seems to have a braincell. Like most silkies, she’s very docile and sweet.

The boy on the far right is Cotton. He’s… something special. Doesn’t try to do anything with the ladies and would rather do his darn-hardest to impress my shoes. By impress, I mean he will not stop trying to bite and tear them apart, and has only succeeded in untying my shoe since. He’s very persistent about it no matter what you do. Given his small size, I couldn’t care less. He’s even went after my hen, Peep’s feet. Her response? Confused clucking, slowly backing up, having no idea what to do with the fierce cotton ball. Oh, and he tries to attack shadows.

You may question why I have two roosters in with one hen, and the answer is simple. One has no idea what he’s doing and the other is too busy attacking shoes/feet to acknowledge they exist. I have not seen Cotton even make an attempt. It’s gotten to the point Cloud thinks Cotton is a hen and has tried to mount him, with no success.

(P.s they’re in this small pen because the other chickens are incredibly mean and they can’t see as well. It’s temporary as the weather warms up. They’re put outside in a separate pen during the day when it’s nice out.)

Back
Top Bottom