Tips on sexing silver spangled appenzeller spitzhauben

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
I'm going to buy some silver spangled appenzeller spitzhaubens and wondered if there are any tips to picking out females? I have some pics but nothing close up. They are 8-10 weeks old.

I didn't know if there were certain feather patterns to look for or anything. Thanks!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1631289208404.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631289208404.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 177
  • FB_IMG_1631289215515.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631289215515.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 115
  • FB_IMG_1631289227408.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631289227408.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 112
Obviously avoid large wattles on any of them, but I would also pick the ones with the most even spangling. I would avoid any birds with excessive white on the saddle and shoulders as males eventually do develop this. I am unsure at what age, but for example in this picture, I would avoid picking the blue bird and select the pink instead. Note in the next picture of a pair of them, how much more black the females have. I would go for heavily spangled birds :)

38CCF93D-633F-4030-96CB-76F109F8456F.jpeg

17457397-3735-4897-9062-9AC9476018D6.jpeg

Obviously avoid large wattles on any of them, but I would also pick the ones with the most even spangling. I would avoid any birds with excessive white on the saddle and shoulders as males eventually do develop this. I am unsure at what age, but for example in this picture, I would avoid picking the blue bird and select the pink instead. Note in the next picture of a pair of them, how much more black the females have. I would go for heavily spangled birds :)

View attachment 2828847

View attachment 2828849
Awesome, thank you!!

Sorry I'm late here, but you can tell with Spitzes at around 2-3 weeks if you've got experience, but definitely by 6 weeks. The males have teeny little waddles hiding under their jaws and the females don't start to develop waddles until they're getting ready to lay. All of my Silvers so far have started to crow right at 11 weeks. I just hatched some gold and chamois, so I'll know soon about them (4 weeks old, exactly half of them are male). Oh crap! I have blue spangled in the incubator that go into lockdown tonight! I've got to stop playing on the internet. 😆

Females usually have more black in their crest, and the crest looks more like a polish, good male crests are neat and forward like a military buzz cut. Males also stand more noticeably proud than females at an early age.

Sorry I'm late here, but you can tell with Spitzes at around 2-3 weeks if you've got experience, but definitely by 6 weeks. The males have teeny little waddles hiding under their jaws and the females don't start to develop waddles until they're getting ready to lay. All of my Silvers so far have started to crow right at 11 weeks. I just hatched some gold and chamois, so I'll know soon about them (4 weeks old, exactly half of them are male). Oh crap! I have blue spangled in the incubator that go into lockdown tonight! I've got to stop playing on the internet. 😆

Females usually have more black in their crest, and the crest looks more like a polish, good male crests are neat and forward like a military buzz cut. Males also stand more noticeably proud than females at an early age.
Thank you by these descriptions I can tell that one or two are males and than I have one really dark bird and two other that can be females I got 5 total. And I got 5 chocolate orpingtons as well they are easier to sex but I working on my skills to do so

Back
Top Bottom