Update 3/13 Blood :( - HELP! Flock attacked, 1 injured

robomb

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Northern Vermont

This is the second time in about 6 months that my flock has been attacked by something. I wasn't sure if it was a dog or a weasel the first time - killed 5 of my 8. It got 4 more, and today again, 5 were found dead in the run. My neighbor saw it, and said it looked like a big coyote, but it had light eyes like a husky. My neighbor scared it off, but it came back and was trying to take a chicken with him.

Here's the big problem, I found one of the hens under the coop and she is clearly injured. Her back is pretty lacerated. I don't know what to do. The one who flew over the stockade fence is safe and now locked in the coop. I put the injured girl in the garage (where they lay eggs) - do I leave her alone or put her in the coop with the other hen? How do I treat it? How much suffering will she endure if I wait it out and do nothing? I feel so helpless. I don't know what to do for her.

Last edited:
No, it's not bleeding - just very raw. Should I move her into the dog crate w/food & water? She did not seem interested in either - she seems like she's in shock. Very skittish - trying to run away, but clearly impaired

Last edited:
I happen to have Vetericyn spray and saw that it is listed as a safe topical in the BYC medical reference section. I discovered that I do not have aspirin in the house - unfortunately I have a dog training tonight and need to leave soon, but I will pick up the baby aspirin and dissolve in water for her. I half expect to find her dead each time I go to check. :'(

Should I bring her in the house? It has been bitterly cold here (Vermont) lately, but tonight will be in the upper 30's. I could put the crate in a spare room that will be about 55 degrees. Don't know if she'll be better off inside where it's a bit warmer (also makes it easier for me to treat her / check on her).

Back
Top Bottom