Urgent! I Need Advice On How To Get Two Free-range Hens and a Rooster In a Dog Kennel!

poirotgrl

Chirping
Mar 3, 2021
So, this happened. I'm heartbroken and just sick to my stomach. I have free-range birds. Originally, six hens and one cocky rooster named Rocky (barred rock, seemed fitting). I live in the woods and this is my first time with birds, but my husband has had several flocks in the past. I never expected to get this attached to my birds, but I sure have. We have a carport attached to our house that we don't use and we have a huge ladder in the corner that we were using to get in the attic. The birds have been roosting on it from day one. It's in the corner closest to our kitchen. We can actually look out one of our kitchen windows and a window in the living room and they're right there. So far we haven't had too many issues with predators. The occasional stray dog has come into our yard, but we've been able to chase them off. Until this past week. I had one hen disappear only later to find her with her head missing. I Googled everything I could, and ultimately decided to let them keep roosting where they were but just keep a closer eye on them. Rifle and shotgun at the ready. That was my fault. I should've known that whatever it was would be back and although I'm up at least once a hour all night long, predators always seem to come when you're not looking. However, I assumed there would at least be a noise of some kind to alert me. Nothing. I had two girls literally disappear. Not a peep out of anyone, not even my rooster. So, last night I kept all the lights on. I kept the front door open and I was right there cleaning in the kitchen. I went to put my kids down to bed, came back out and now all that was left was my one white hen. Even my rooster was gone. No sound, nothing. After walking the property I found one hen and brought her to the front porch. The next morning my white hen was gone, but my rooster emerged with the last two of hens. We now know it was a great horned owl. I feel horribly guilty for all this. I knew better than to think these birds could free-range out here without any kind of coop or run, but my husband really wanted the birds to have a chance to just be birds without being all cooped up (he's had cooped up birds and said it was really depressing). I must say, it's been a wonderful experience to have these birds. I've always been kind of scared of birds, and I didn't think I would like having chickens, other than the eggs of course, little did I know. They are so fun and peaceful to watch around the yard. They've given me so much, I almost don't even care about the eggs. Almost. So, now here is my problem. I know the owl will be back tonight. And, the next night. And, the night after that. All I have is a really large dog kennel. All I can think of is to get the birds into the kennel tonight and at least they'd be safe from the owl. The hens should be easy enough, but Rocky is going to be quite the challenge. I have no clue how to do this! I could wait until they've roosted and then try to grab Rocky?! Or, I can leave a trail of their favorite treats into the kennel?! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance for any suggestions.

Once they have gone to sleep grab around the wings and body then place in the kennel.

Chickens are pretty catatonic once asleep so are easily grabbed as long as you use just enough light that you can see....keep it as dark as possible.

You can try the treat trail but best bet is grabbing off the roost.

Once they have gone to sleep grab around the wings and body then place in the kennel.

Chickens are pretty catatonic once asleep so are easily grabbed as long as you use just enough light that you can see....keep it as dark as possible.

You can try the treat trail but best bet is grabbing off the roost.
Thank you so much. Every little bit of advice I can get is so helpful.

Update: we were able to get all three birds in the kennel. We have the kennel on the front porch. I put a blanket over the kennel thinking maybe it would help some to keep them calm. They've had hot dogs and bananas, their favorite treats. We were able to put some water in the kennel, too. I know this isn't a permanent solution, but hopefully the owl will go away in the next week or so. Many prayers are going up!

Update: we were able to get all three birds in the kennel. We have the kennel on the front porch. I put a blanket over the kennel thinking maybe it would help some to keep them calm. They've had hot dogs and bananas, their favorite treats. We were able to put some water in the kennel, too. I know this isn't a permanent solution, but hopefully the owl will go away in the next week or so. Many prayers are going up!

The owl will hang around.
Unfortunately many of us learned the hard way that if it's not owls it's something else wanting to eat our birds. :(

At night they are most at risk. I know your hubs is against a coop but they actually need safe sleeping quarters.

I entirely agree. I have said from day one that the chickens needed a safer spot to sleep. He figured the birds were safe up on a ladder in the carport right next to the house. I have never felt confident about it, though. He has had birds before and kept assuring me that getting birds into a coop every night is a daunting task. They don't like it and are very reluctant to go. Plus, he keeps telling me that there's no such thing as a truly secure coop and/or run so we might as well let them happy while we're here. I see his point, but I just can't let my birds be a wild critter buffet. And, even though I'm very limited by funds I imagine I can build or purchase something that would be sufficient. I told myself after this I just couldn't have birds anymore. But, now I just can't imagine life without them.

Back
Top Bottom