Water belly question.

Amberlovinlife

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2023
I have a 4 year old EE who has become top hen of the yard. She stopped laying eggs a while ago bit I noticed a few days ago she was not acting like her usual self, to sum it up after isolation and lots of research I figured out she has water belly. I was successful in draining it but it is a green color. From what I have read that means infection. What is the next steps? Is there any antibiotic medication I can use? Pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3991.jpeg
    IMG_3991.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3990.jpeg
    IMG_3990.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 10
Green may be from the liver, hard to know.

You can try antibiotics to see if that makes her more comfortable and extends life.

If you lose her, a necropsy will reveal the cause of the Ascites.

Green may be from the liver, hard to know.

You can try antibiotics to see if that makes her more comfortable and extends life.

If you lose her, a necropsy will reveal the cause of the Ascites.
so after I drained her, she was doing a little better but today not so good she staying fluffed up she ate a little bit but not much but she is still drinking. I have her inside. I wouldn’t call com area because I have lots of grandchildren, but she safe she’s not getting overheated, I was thinking maybe it’s an infection because I read that somewhere. What kind of antibiotics should I give her? Where can I get them?

so after I drained her, she was doing a little better but today not so good she staying fluffed up she ate a little bit but not much but she is still drinking. I have her inside. I wouldn’t call com area because I have lots of grandchildren, but she safe she’s not getting overheated, I was thinking maybe it’s an infection because I read that somewhere. What kind of antibiotics should I give her? Where can I get them?

Attachments

• IMG_3989.jpeg
    IMG_3989.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 11
It's always a good idea to post a link to any info you are sharing, if possible. I found it and posted the link below.

Possible that the green is infection, but it's not a good thing to find. Possible it's from the liver and it's bile, still not a good thing to find.

Ascites (Water Belly) is a symptom. Whether that's symptom is organ failure/dysfunction, cancer or something reproductive, it's hard to know unless a necropsy is performed when the hen dies.

Draining is part of supportive care and comfort, it's not a cure.
If you have a vet, that's your best bet on sourcing antibiotics, some are hard to find with new regulations.
Amoxicillin is usually a good choice, you can still find the powder at Jedds, instructions are on the label. https://jedds.com/products/amoxicillin-10-powder?_pos=2&_sid=c6f843c22&_ss=r

https://www.ecopeanut.com/chicken-water-belly-or-ascites-prevention-treatment-options/
1714534986254.png

Back
Top Bottom