Watery swelling on newly hatched chick. What could it be?

chameleon

Chirping
Dec 23, 2016
Garden Route, South Africa
My hen had 11 eggs that started hatching yesterday morning. By the end of this morning all but two were fully hatched and looking healthy. The last two didn't appear to have anything wrong with them and they had started hatching (one almost fully out of the shell and the other pipped), but the hen seemed to have decided it was time to leave the nest and abandoned them while she took the other chicks out to explore. I put her back in the nest, with some food for the older chicks and she moved the two late-comers back under her and started encouraging the other chicks to eat.

When I went back 15 minutes later she was off the nest again. I watched her for a while and she went in and out of the nest a few times, but now she was scratching the now fully hatched but still damp chick and half hatched egg out of the way and sitting on all the older chicks.

The two late chicks were getting colder and weaker, so the next time she left the nest I removed them to see if I could help them get their strength up and put them back when they could keep up with the others. They are both fully hatched now, but the one that got kicked around in the nest was looking very weak still, so I tried feeding it some egg yolk. They are both looking stronger and happier now.

The one that got kicked around seems to be a bit swollen all over and on the patches of bare skin (it's a naked neck cross) seems to have lots of tiny scratches. The swelling seems to be watery. Is the swelling a defect or possibly infection (it is now mid afternoon so they haven't had much time to be exposed to anything) or is it from being kicked around? I want to know what the chances are of these chicks recovering.

PS. this is my first hatch, I rescued the hen and her eggs about a week ago. She is semi wild and had her nest out in a field and was getting wet in a storm.

These photos are of her head, but she has swelling like that all over her body as far as I can tell, there's just too much fluff to get a good picture.

Last edited:
Quote: Can you take it to a vet?

You may want to pm @casportpony
or @Eggcessive to see if either of them have a better idea of what is going on.

My thoughts would be that it needs to be drained, but...sometimes fluid can be re-absorbed back into the body.

If you get any clear answer, please do post them here, this will help (me) and others learn what it is and how to possibly treat it.

Can you take it to a vet?

You may want to pm @casportpony
or @Eggcessive to see if either of them have a better idea of what is going on.

My thoughts would be that it needs to be drained, but...sometimes fluid can be re-absorbed back into the body.

If you get any clear answer, please do post them here, this will help (me) and others learn what it is and how to possibly treat it.

Thanks for the tips.

I live in a small town with very limited access to anything chicken related. But I'll keep trying and let you know if I find an answer, or at least if the chick recovers on it's own.

Chamelon- I just had a chick born similar to your thread only mine was in a incubator. Hatched late day 23 with a little help. Noticed it laying kinda lethargic, so upon assessment I felt a swollen fluid spot. I thought I seen it right when it hatched but I chalked it up to being weird little creature cracking. Now I'm worrying I will loose the baby. Its a little mosiac, What happened with yours? Have u had that again? Been years but this thread is my only hope!! Thanks !!

Chamelon- I just had a chick born similar to your thread only mine was in an incubator. Hatched late day 23 with a little help. Noticed it laying kinda lethargic, so upon assessment I felt a swollen fluid spot. I thought I seen it right when it hatched but I chalked it up to being weird little creature cracking. Now I'm worrying I will loose the baby. Its a little mosiac, What happened with yours? Have u had that again? Been years but this thread is my only hope!! Thanks !!
May I ask the same thing if you? I have a little one with a fluid filled lump. Looking for guidance

Back
Top Bottom