What did you do in the garden today?

My batting average is taking a hit with seed germination this season. Some of it is expected considering I'm trying to salvage my mom's 8 yr old seeds that were kept in her shed. Not surprisingly... the onions, basil, lettuce, beans, and most of the flower seeds did not germinate at all. I've had pitifully low germination from the carrots and cilantro.

But even MY seeds that are about 2 yrs old and were kept properly are not doing great. The basil, butterfly pea, and borage have all been bust. Not a single seed germinated. And I've had low germination from the marigolds and Zinnias. Brand new seeds from Bakers didn't germinate either - Mullein, marshmallow, agastache, bee balm, violas, and catmint.
My fresh catmint and marshmallow seeds from baker creek didn't germinate too well either. Out of over 25 catmint seeds sawed, I got one germinated. And 3 marshmallow germinated.

Everything has really grown with all the rain the last few days. First cherry tomatoes and small cucumbers. Eggplant is blooming. Fruit trees have adjusted to transplanting.
Ordered Seminole pumpkin seeds from Etsy. Not sure when to plant for my Fall garden?
20240515_073546.jpg
20240513_063746.jpg

My fresh catmint and marshmallow seeds from baker creek didn't germinate too well either. Out of over 25 catmint seeds sawed, I got one germinated. And 3 marshmallow germinated.
Yeah, I'm not sure why I've had so much trouble with Baker flower seeds this year. I also sowed 3 different packets of yarrow from Baker, in addition to the other seeds I listed. None of those have germinated either.

Over a dozen flower seed packets, from multiple shipments, without a single germination...

And at least 6 flower seed packets that had low germination with under 5 plants maximum.

Wonder if I should reach out to them?

I’ve had very good luck with direct seeding okra @Smokerbill.
My okra row was a little shorter than I thought. I was able to plant 14 hills of okra, 18" apart, with two or three seeds in each. Plus I have 17 solo-cup-potted okra seeds as backup if the direct seeded okra goes bust.

I replaced the iffy black currant cutting with a nicer one, and I planted the last two currants at the ends of the okra row.

IMG_4139.JPG

OK... I'm not crazy. I went back through the invoices for all my orders between last July (7/2023) and March (3/2024). Everything highlighted in YELLOW failed to germinate AT ALL. The one highlighted in ORANGE had low germination but still had something. Those not highlighted at all had high germination.

View attachment 3832931View attachment 3832932View attachment 3832933View attachment 3832934
I'd definitely contact Baker Creek and ask for replacements or a refund. They have a guarantee, but I'm not sure of its details.

Back
Top Bottom