What did you do in the garden today?

I did use deer netting 2 years ago. I took it back down, but they haven't been back after the blueberries since...so yeah I know I'm flirting with disaster here...
My local deer only visit my front yard because of the dogs. My neighbor saw new fawns in their side yard... So they didn't want to cut the long grass they're eating. They came from the big city. They will learn. 🤣

They have a lower voltage battery powered weed whacker and it took the young man two days to get through the tall brome. I heard it struggle through most passes. I had offered to come use my 2stroke stihl whacker when I was going to cut mine down. I got my front and side yards done in about 30 minutes. If I had added their yard it would have taken about 2 hours total. They have half an acre. They are great folks, younger, and had never had a yard at all before. They just got their first all wheel drive car, a suburu Outback. They also have a Prius. The wife is 8 months pregnant. They. Are. Adorable.

🤔 I've never been able to figure this one out myself.😂 Also, why do they always make a huge mess right after you clean the kitchen and/or stove? 😑 My DH will go weeks without cooking, then I clean the stove, and he makes bacon or tortilla chips.
Yes!!! After scrubbing it to gleaming staus...he boils over the cajun peanuts, oh & the pan also needs sandpaper afterwards, then he will fry something...like ya don't need the heat set at high honey...we can cook & keep the olive oil "Inside" the pan. 😆

Mine is in charge of putting away dinner.
My guy's flaw...never put things away or closed & locked doors or shut lights off...but he is improving. The big phase will be taking all shoes & boots off in the laundry room. I never had shoes inside the house before...omg, can ya see how the carpet looks 50 yrs old now? Yeah...relationships are a work in progress, huh. 🤣
My dad always used to say, love is merely a state of tolerance. I tolerate him a lot ❤️😂
Good for you. That can be a tough spot, glad you could let go and move forward
Well, we cared for eachother but priorities just weren't in tune. I tried for 10 years. He just really didn't want the same lifestyle. Said all I do is work. I don't know any folks living any differently. I mean you hear about morons like Kardashians but that crap is just not MY kind of life. Give me chickens, critters & people that are not phony, not revolving existence around trying to impress the Jones's, nor partying their brain cells away. I'm happy just cherishing our earth & the wonderful creatures in nature.

This. I only have 1/3 of an acre. My front yard looks like I gave up
Oh...my front yard...all I can say is I will get to it eventually! Yeah, its kinda sad with Johnsongrass & Nutsedge. I wont use any chemicals so i can only pull so many weeds with sore hands.
We leave for Disneyland tomorrow afternoon,
Travel light, travel safe & by all means...
Have a good time! 👍

I have to work today but I will be coming home for lunch to get some stuff done. Supposed to get to 84° today. It's going to be almost 90° tomorrow, 80 Friday, then on Saturday the expected high is 64°. Weather whiplash, again! 🫣 my plants are going to keep being drama queens for the next few weekweeks.
I hear ya...very crazy, 40s & 60s then nearly 90, back to 50s. Hope the seedlings do ok!

What do they look like when they first sprout? I planted some seeds in the green house, and what's growing in those pots doesn't look like anything I've seen, but I've never seen black-eyed Susans coming up.

I have to fence anything I need to protect from deer.

I can get away with 4' tall welded wire fence around the blueberries because the enclosure is too small for them to land in when they jump. The fence is far enough from the BB that they can't stick their head over and nibble.
These are mine just coming up (both in the ground & the pot). The leaves are round & fuzzy. There are so many different types so I thought I'd share mine as I had just taken pics yesterday.
Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 10.53.24 AM.png

Weird... The deer don't bother my blueberries at all. Maybe because they are distracted by the blackberries, corn, etc.... 🙄
I wish that I can say that. Even though I have deer netting around them, deer will chew branches and netting together. I just cannot keep my blueberry plants alive, so I started honeyberry plants instead. Although they don't love my cherry trees that much, especially when the trees are older now.

I wish that I can say that. Even though I have deer netting around them, deer will chew branches and netting together. I just cannot keep my blueberry plants alive, so I started honeyberry plants instead. Although they don't love my cherry trees that much, especially when the trees are older now.
I have things up around the garden to act as deer deterrents. Things like soap in mesh bags, whirly birds, wind chimes, etc... I move them around often so they don't get used to them. I don't know if any of it really works or if I've just had less deer because of an increase in construction/traffic around my house. 🤷

I have things up around the garden to act as deer deterrents. Things like soap in mesh bags, whirly birds, wind chimes, etc... I move them around often so they don't get used to them. I don't know if any of it really works or if I've just had less deer because of an increase in construction/traffic around my house. 🤷
I live at a cross section of a Doe Road and a Buckhorn Drive. The street names already tell you how many deer we have here. :rolleyes: My 4ft chainlink fence means nothing to them. I spray deer repellent on my plants, but it gets washed off after rain and blueberry were all gone. I consider myself lucky because my neighbors lost all their fruit trees and roses to deer.

Attached photos of the newest blooms and the progress of the clover patch/pool. Corn block. Canna lilies coming up and a handsome blue belly lizard. Hopefully he stays away from the chickens. 😂

Attachments

• 20240501_080408.jpg
    20240501_080408.jpg
    865.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240501_080434.jpg
    20240501_080434.jpg
    894.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240501_080421.jpg
    20240501_080421.jpg
    774.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240430_173345.jpg
    20240430_173345.jpg