What is this? Extreme pasty butt?

ElfenLied89

Crowing
May 30, 2023
South Carolina
Got 4 babies at TSC today bc my zombie I hatched was lonely. When I got home and was putting them in the brooder, I noticed the Barred Rock I bought was lethargic. I also noticed a foul smell like something was decaying. I just figured there was a dead animal nearby as I was outside. Nope. When I picked this baby up, I noticed her butt was caked in poop. Like hard-core. Not just a teeny little pasty butt. A whole quarter size mass of poop. She smelled horrible. Took her inside, gave her a good wash. Her butt is extremely red and has white spots on it (I am assuming a type of yeast infection?)

What should I do? Her butt is raw, infected, and sore. Pics in the comments for those who wanna look.

Before and after washing this poor little one

Attachments

• 20240430_184154.jpg
    20240430_184154.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240430_184156.jpg
    20240430_184156.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240430_202402.jpg
    20240430_202402.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 19
Poor baby!!

I grabbed the some chicks from TSC last fall that were nasty like that.

I cleaned them up giving additional baths as need to keep them clean. The Neosporin seemed to also help mine. Either by clearing an infection or simply not letting yuck stick.
That was my thought in recommending the triple anti ointment. Double duty in making it heal and non stick

My guess is that this chick got some contaminated feed, mold or bacteria, maybe both.

Perhaps giving all the chicks Greek yogurt for the next few days will help. Or a probiotic tablet in their water each day. If it doesn't clear up in a few days, treating the chicks with Medistatin will cure it. https://www.amazon.com/Taxonyx-Science-Inc-Medistatin-Birds/dp/B097NQFYZL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1AYSEYPQ3P2ON&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.VDn9s1AWUBQnBwsjjiEnMYCLOW_mXx_liA2RaqZDovCcBo0l7M74UfO9sA21ZoaD.WBmlU_UpHAuWXPNDPoIwtH0gO-bJWjjHCt1qTE3XOq0&dib_tag=se&keywords=Medistatin&qid=1714524001&sprefix=medistatin,aps,210&sr=8-1

Sorry about the poor chick. You have great advice already, and I second the probiotics and yeast cream. They should give you another chick for replacement at TSC. Had it been there awhile? It could have been pecked about the vent because of the stuck on poop which irritates the skin. Make sure it gets plenty of fluids and food, even a little mushy wet feed. Good luck.

Poor baby!!

I grabbed the some chicks from TSC last fall that were nasty like that.

I cleaned them up giving additional baths as need to keep them clean. The Neosporin seemed to also help mine. Either by clearing an infection or simply not letting yuck stick.
It rly irks me. How can you not go check on them? There was no way this baby was "checked on" at all for a long time. Makes me wanna buy all the babies and keep em clean. Hire me at TSC. I'll be the baby chicken keeper.

Back
Top Bottom