What type of quail should I get?

Coturnix are your best layers. Other species of quail are seasonal layers except for button quail, and their eggs are just way too tiny to eat easily.

If you just want eggs, don't go for jumbo coturnix. Standards lay more.
Thanks, I know a restaurant that I'm going to supply the eggs to, so I will get some soon.

You will find that quail are quite different from chickens. They have different nutritional needs, different housing needs, and need much more secure homes.
I have a pet superstore near me that sells quail food. I have quite a big garden, so I have room for about 10 ( I'm going to give them more space than they suggest). Also I'm putting mesh all around the run, so that they can't get out, and nothing can get in. Is there any tips you suggest?

I have a pet superstore near me that sells quail food. I have quite a big garden, so I have room for about 10 ( I'm going to give them more space than they suggest). Also I'm putting mesh all around the run, so that they can't get out, and nothing can get in. Is there any tips you suggest?
You want 1/2" hardware cloth to protect your quail. Raccoons, for example, will reach through anything larger and pull your quail out piece by piece. Rats and mice can also get in through anything smaller, and yes, they, too, will eat your quail. The mice are more likely to eat their eggs, but if one is injured or not feeling well, they won't pass it up.

Make sure to check the nutrition information on the quail feed. I have seen feeds that are supposed to be for quail with as low as 7% protein and completely inadequate for their needs.

Back
Top Bottom