What's the temperature where you are???

Wednesday 1st May 10.15a.m. Mostly sunny, sky clearing. Moderate 24.1 / 40.8kph SW, Hg 50%, 17.2C / 63F top of 18C / 64F. Showers all week, apparently. :confused:

Moon is 55.1%

1714522569452.png

Rain could fall for 10 days straight along the New South Wales coast as weather systems over southern Australia grind to a standstill.

The prolonged drenching will result from a "blocking high", the name given to a high-pressure system that stalls from several days to several weeks, and blocks the typical eastward movement of weather.

This stalling of pressure systems removes the standard day-to-day variability typically experienced in mid-latitude climates like Sydney, leading to an extended spell where the weather is almost identical each day.

While some blocks lead to warm and sunny weather, this week's pattern will bring cool and showery weather to the NSW coast, intensifying into areas of heavy rain this weekend which may even culminate in another bout of flooding.

Not good, if it happens.

What about your crocs?
They don't wander around public parks, as far as I'm aware. My sister lives in the tropical croc zone and has yet to see one outside of a wildlife park. Here's what usually happens.

• In short: Rangers have captured a 2.3-metre saltwater crocodile in the freshwater Mulgrave River, near Cairns.
  • Local children had been crossing the river in small boats in the same area to get to school after recent flooding.
  • What's next? A local councillor says the croc's removal should lead to a review of crocodile management plans in Queensland.
Rangers have captured a saltwater crocodile at a popular freshwater swimming hole in Far North Queensland, sparking renewed debate about crocodile management in the region.

It is believed to be the same crocodile was seen near a river crossing used by children to get to school by small boats since a bridge was washed away in torrential flooding in December after Cyclone Jasper.

Queensland Parks and Wildlife northern director Lindsay Delzoppo said the 2.3-metre crocodile was caught in the Mulgrave River, upstream of the Ross and Locke recreational area near Gordonvale, south of Cairns.

He said rangers used a baited trap to catch the "chunky" reptile.

A crocodile in a cage

The 2.3m crocodile was captured in a trap at Ross and Locke, near Gordonvale, south of Cairns. (Supplied: Department of Environment, Science and Innovation)
"People were concerned because they were trying to cross that area by punt and they were worried the crocodile might be in the area," Mr Delzoppo said.

"Ross and Locke is about seven kilometres downstream from that area, but during flooding it's quite possible for animals to get washed downstream.

Calls to remove crocs​

Local councillor Brett Moller said the region's sparkling freshwater swimming holes were being deserted due to the fear of saltwater crocodiles moving into streams and rivers.

He said he would like to see a review of the state's crocodile management plans.

A pulley rope across a river

Goldsborough Valley residents had to use a pulley system and boats to get to work and school after Fisheries Bridge washed away. (Supplied: Brett Moller)

"We need a more proactive approach in the upper reaches of the Mulgrave River, particularly the creeks where our residents love to picnic and swim," Cr Moller said.

"Because we're losing more and more swimming spots, some of the safe areas are like Bondi Beach on the weekend — there's so many people.

"If crocodiles are sighted they should be removed, the department should not be waiting for a particular size or behaviour."

Cr Moller said a footbridge had now been installed at Fisheries Bridge which washed away in December.

Residents had been using tinnies and a pulley system to get to school and work on the other side of the Mulgrave River.

edit - the animals are relocated, not harmed.

Ooh. I love my Crocs! I have yellow ones, green ones, brown, just a bunch of them, I even have boots. They are great because I can spray them off with the hose.
I took a header a few yrs ago when I ran out to close my gate in the driveway - it was snowing, and those darn crocs are very dangerous! Who knew crocs and snow were a bad combination! Should be outlawed in snow! 🤭🤭🤭🤭

Oh Crocs …! Ya still dangerous I say! Not sure how they are with snow….

Well….. woohoo! Got to 19C today! And it stopped raining- yay! Bring on the mosquitoes!

And my Barn Swallows have returned, I made them roost in the hay loft tonight as I didn’t have time to put up their access door on the back door of the barn - I was too busy hauling my uncles’s SUV out of the mud, he thought he could get to his boat and haul it out. It’s a swamp here, don’t know what he was thinking!

But it’s going to be nice for the next few days yay!

Ooh. I love my Crocs! I have yellow ones, green ones, brown, just a bunch of them, I even have boots. They are great because I can spray them off with the hose.
Crocs saved me during a plantar fasciitis episode and they are great in the chook house. Mine live outside and don't ever complain about the rain hhaha

Back
Top Bottom