Why do my call ducks wings cross?

k0r1nag

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
Kelso
I am new to call ducks and am growing out last Spring's hatching eggs that I bought in order to learn more about this breed. Almost all of my ducks have wing tips that cross each other over their backs when their wings are closed. Some cross more than an inch. I spoke to the person I got the eggs from and was feeding the babies the way she suggested, but now that they are adults, it hasn't gone away. Is this genetic? Do they need a different feed regime to help them "fill out"?

The breeder suggested I feed high protein to the ducks, so they started out on 24% protein starter feed and have been weaned to 20-22% whole grain feed (made of legumes, peas, oats, flax, barley, etc.). And they are out on a grass pasture and get handfuls of timothy or alfalfa hay a few times a week when there is no grass.

I would really appreciate any info!

Korina

It's not a problem so there's no solution. Their wings should be carried well up & tightly folded. The result is the tips will cross.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the input NYREDS - you have given me great info in the past and I am very appreciative.

The reason I thought it was a problem is that I took two of my "best" pastel hens to a show this Fall and one of the other breeders - one who wins a lot - told me they shouldn't cross or should only cross a tiny bit. We weren't competing against each other in variety, so I accepted her information since I don't know much about the breed. And since none of my birds were small enough and round enough to win anything, I just brought them to to see how they would do so I could learn more about the breed standards.

Thanks again!
Korina

It is a fault if you show them as the wings should lay neatly to the body and not cross at the tips over the body. It isn't the result of anything, couldn't have been stopped. Some just have it, which is why you need to grow out calls before selecting those you wish to keep and show (if that is your goal).

It isn't anything you've done or didn't do, it's just another physical trait that can happen that would prevent the bird from being competitive in showing. Most ducks will cross wing tips... specially right after a strong flap. What matters for show is how the wing is held naturally in a relaxed position. Like on my Saxony ducks, their natural wing set has the tips parallel to each other, about a 1/2 inch apart. Quackers the black Swedish has wing tips that are always crossed at least an inch. Add in her poorly marked bib and overall feather quality, and she'll never see the inside of a show pen. I have one pair of Saxony I wouldn't be completely embarrassed about entering. The other pair would be good for 4H or small open shows, just because of coloring. Structurally they're great.

Doesn't matter for pets at the house, it won't affect them health wise or for flying around. I think the show rule is "The tips can touch but not cross".

Thanks again for the input,everyone! You have certainly helped clarify things for me. I do have a few ducklings whose wings do not cross, so if they meet the standard in other respects, I could show them.

Does anyone know if this is a dominant trait or a trait dominant to one sex? My birds are not all closely related and I was going to pick out the very best to put together a small pair or trio to breed from. If my best male, who has the right size, color, shape of body and head, and correct bill length has wings that cross, could I breed him to a duck that does not have crossed wing tips and get a portion of the hatch without crossed wings? Or will all the ducklings have crossed wings?

Korina

The condition you cite is not a listed defect in either the APA or ABA Standard.

The condition you cite is not a listed defect in either the APA or ABA Standard.

Thanks for the clarification. I have an APA handbook but it is several years out of date so I was unsure if the rule had changed.

It is interesting that people perceive it as a defect. I wonder if this is due to the fact that the wings may cross because the duck doesn't have the preferred fullness of body looked for in the breed?

Korina

Back
Top Bottom