Silkie X EE Pictures

Freeholder

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Klamath County, OR
Here are some pictures of my six-month-old Silkie X EE's that a couple of the EE hens hatched out last August. There are eight of them altogether, two cockerels and six pullets. I don't think I got pictures of all the pullets, and I'm not sure how good the pictures are, but they were the best I could do without catching them! The pullets all seem to be laying (as far as I can tell) and are all laying green eggs.

Kathleen

First Picture -- I think this guy would be a Golden-duckwing? (I'd love to have some insight on the colors of these guys.)
ChickensSilkieXEE003-1.jpg

Last edited:
One of the gold pullets, the one with the most feathering on her legs. Most of them have at least one or two little feathers. (Feathering is not a particularly desirable trait on our heavy clay soils.)

ChickensSilkieXEE010.jpg

Last edited:
One last picture -- of the white-headed pullet. The pullets are almost as big as their mothers now -- sometimes I have to look twice to see if it's one of the EE hens or one of these pullets. They are definitely bigger than the Silkie roosters.

ChickensSilkieXEE011.jpg

Last edited:
OMG they are beauuutiful!

That's it, this summer I'm letting my white silkie roo have fun with my EE girl (hopefully will have more than one by then) and hatch some eggs, they are so pretty!

Question: are the new pullets laying normal-sized eggs or small bantam-sized ones?

So far the eggs range from large-bantam size up to medium. They just started laying within the last two to three weeks, though, so I expect to see them get a little bigger. Probably will never see a large-size egg, but they should all come up to small/medium, I think.

I have two Silkie roosters. One is white, and the other is black, and I don't know for sure which one fathered all the chicks, but suspect it was the white rooster. So hopefully you'll get some pretty colors, too! (Seven of these guys are out of one hen, one is out of another hen -- she hatched nine eggs, but by the time I saw her and the chick running around the yard, the other chicks had disappeared.)

I'd like to develop a strain of broody hens that aren't as big and feather-footed as Cochins, but are bigger than Silkies, and normal-feathered. I don't pamper my chickens, and while my Silkies seem to be doing fine even living in an open goat shed in the winter, I think normal-feathering would be better for our climate. If anyone nearby is raising the same cross I'd love to exchange some birds with you to get different lines.

Kathleen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom