➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Well, the little one has not perked up this morning and I’m afraid we may have to cull her… she looks just as crusty as yesterday, and upon closer inspection I’m not 100% convinced she has eyes. So sad! And no more pips on the 3 eggs left in the incubator… so I guess that’s 7 out of 26 hatched, 6 that will probably make it 😭

Well, the little one has not perked up this morning and I’m afraid we may have to cull her… she looks just as crusty as yesterday, and upon closer inspection I’m not 100% convinced she has eyes. So sad! And no more pips on the 3 eggs left in the incubator… so I guess that’s 7 out of 26 hatched, 6 that will probably make it 😭
I had a bad hatch also. First one in a couple of years, so remembering all the details is needed. The next will only get better.

I had a bad hatch also. First one in a couple of years, so remembering all the details is needed. The next will only get better.
Thank you. I do feel guilt, like my inexperience may be at fault for the one who’s doing poorly, or all the ones that failed to hatch. I tried to do as much research & testing as possible beforehand, but nothing teaches like the real thing… I always knew the first time would be rough. But I didn’t expect it to be quite this rough.

The good news is that the other 6 are doing really well, running around, eating, drinking, popcorning, and napping. I’m just trying to be grateful for that, and hope to high heavens I have some hens 😩
Yes, the feelings are real. I want a good healthy life for those in my care. Suffering is not good and should be as short as possible. This is a mind set and is learned. I still feel bad, but do what is needed to minimize suffering.

My birds are also meat. It isn't any easier when they get bigger & I do get attached to a few who stick around for eggs or breeding for a bit. The contract is the same. Take care of your charges.

The hatches are variable because there are a lot of variables. Weather, genes, barometric pressure and a lot of others that can be minimized but not controlled. We do our best.

We culled the last little one. She was very poorly, and would have had a tough life with no eyes. I was syringe-feeding her mash and Nutridrench, but this evening couldn’t stand and I didn’t want to subject her to more suffering. There are still 3 eggs in the incubator that look dark with good air cells, but on day 20 I’m losing hope for them. So I think the final hatch will be 6/26. Rough! But I learned a lot.

We culled the last little one. She was very poorly, and would have had a tough life with no eyes. I was syringe-feeding her mash and Nutridrench, but this evening couldn’t stand and I didn’t want to subject her to more suffering. There are still 3 eggs in the incubator that look dark with good air cells, but on day 20 I’m losing hope for them. So I think the final hatch will be 6/26. Rough! But I learned a lot.
I'm sorry. I hate culling chicks, but you know when it needs to be done.

Back
Top Bottom