➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

They pull entire young plants underground. One day you have a nice tomato plant growing, the next day "poof" it just disappears. We do raised bed gardening because of the gophers and lined each bed with wire mesh. But somehow one found a way into our onion bed this year and ate every single onion, save for about 10 I pulled when they were about the size of golf balls. We tried flushing, bombing, traps, deterrent smells. Nothing worked. I didn't want to use poison in a food crop or on the risk of my dogs or chickens finding and it the carcass. Every time I see a gopher snake in the yard I do a happy dance.

They pull entire young plants underground. One day you have a nice tomato plant growing, the next day "poof" it just disappears. We do raised bed gardening because of the gophers and lined each bed with wire mesh. But somehow one found a way into our onion bed this year and ate every single onion, save for about 10 I pulled when they were about the size of golf balls. We tried flushing, bombing, traps, deterrent smells. Nothing worked. I didn't want to use poison in a food crop or on the risk of my dogs or chickens finding and it the carcass. Every time I see a gopher snake in the yard I do a happy dance.

I have raised beds too. Critters ALWAYS find a way in despite my modifications!

And here is the only egg I see movement in. Day 9. There is one more egg that might be developing but I'm not sure. I pulled 12 eggs and left 2.View attachment 1401037 View attachment 1401038 View attachment 1401039
Quail hatch on about day 16 /17.

What if you inbed the mini one in a plastic Easter egg?
Would need to drill some holes in the plastic egg for ventilation and proper readings.
I don't think I know what a vole is. :confused:
Not sure they live down here...I will ask Google.:caf
We have voles too. I'm a great shot with a 22 loaded with rat shot.

Love those ducklings! I'm glad they are girls.

The bane of my existence is something called "Botta's pocket gopher." They are tiny little things, but can wreck total havoc in the garden. Nothing seems to deter them.
Hubby rigged up an old lawn mower with a metal flex pipe. We find the tunnel and then place the end of the hose in the tunnel, place a metal plate over the hole, pack it with soil. We then start the mower and let it run. The fumes gas the offending gopher, vole and any babies in the den. So far we have been very successful and are no longer losing plants in our raised beds.

Hubby rigged up an old lawn mower with a metal flex pipe. We find the tunnel and then place the end of the hose in the tunnel, place a metal plate over the hole, pack it with soil. We then start the mower and let it run. The fumes gas the offending gopher, vole and any babies in the den. So far we have been very successful and are no longer losing plants in our raised beds.
That's a really nifty idea!

More? I've been away working and working on chicken run. The last update I saw was #5919 about the balut on hold cuz kiki found horse eggs. What has happened since then!!
I got 3 new horse eggs today.
:oops:
I couldn't tell the lady no.

IMG_20180527_092742.jpg

Back
Top Bottom