šŸ£šŸ„Black Copper Marans and Whiting True Blues. Lots of videosšŸŽ„

There are 4 healthy chicks, the 5th chick didnā€™t make it through the first day.
For night #2 I waited til after dark and slipped the 4 new chicks under the broody and everything went smoothly. She purred a little once they got in there. I checked on them after 10 minutes and no sounds from the happy and warm chicks. I turned off their heater plate about an hour before I put them under her, so they were primed for the henā€™s warmth.
2 chicks are black like their mama and 2 chicks are chipmunk like their mama. Hopefully theyā€™ll do ok following her around tomorrow. Iā€™ll keep a close eye on them after I let them out.

There are 4 healthy chicks, the 5th chick didnā€™t make it through the first day.
For night #2 I waited til after dark and slipped the 4 new chicks under the broody and everything went smoothly. She purred a little once they got in there. I checked on them after 10 minutes and no sounds from the happy and warm chicks. I turned off their heater plate about an hour before I put them under her, so they were primed for the henā€™s warmth.
2 chicks are black like their mama and 2 chicks are chipmunk like their mama. Hopefully theyā€™ll do ok following her around tomorrow. Iā€™ll keep a close eye on them after I let them out.

Congratulations on the 4 new chicks. Watching a momma hen raise babies is so fun. Momma will break every rule you read about what your supposed to do to keep chicks healthy and safe yet somehow the chicks always seem to do great. Probably even better than I can do by following all of the rules.

Congrats on the new brood. It's great your broody took right to them.
Looking forward to seeing them grow thru your great videos. ā™„ļø

So far so good
IMG_6590.jpeg

The 2 black chicks stand out from the other ones and the hen pecked the barred one a few times. But it wasnā€™t hard and they didnā€™t run away. It took about 20 minutes until the little chicks got cold and were ready to snuggle

ā€¦ well now the hen is growling and pecking the 2 black chicks when they are near her. She doesnā€™t mind the 2 new chipmunk ones, but sheā€™s not being nice to the black ones. Hopefully they can stay out of trouble and work this out.

Hopefully you don't have to separate them from her and hand raise them.

Sometimes it holds true. 'Birds of a feather'....

ā€¦ well now the hen is growling and pecking the 2 black chicks when they are near her. She doesnā€™t mind the 2 new chipmunk ones, but sheā€™s not being nice to the black ones. Hopefully they can stay out of trouble and work this out.

Hopefully you don't have to separate them from her and hand raise them.

Sometimes it holds true. 'Birds of a feather'....
Sheā€™s still pecking them anytime theyā€™re right in front of her. Iā€™m thinking theyā€™ll learn to stay at armā€™s length. Tonight might be awkward when they go to back to the brooder together.

Sheā€™s still pecking them anytime theyā€™re right in front of her. Iā€™m thinking theyā€™ll learn to stay at armā€™s length. Tonight might be awkward when they go to back to the brooder together.
Hopefully it works itself out for you. I know my Jersey Gena knocked her chicks around a bit for the first day or two. Nothing that caused any harm but it looked concerning to me. I just said to myself chickens arenā€™t people and the do things differently and practically had to sit on my hands to not interfere. It only took a couple days for Gena to get those babies to fall in line and it all worked out without any help from me.

Back
Top Bottom