🖌Community Art Nook🖌

The paint is Apple Barrel, and I don't know about the canvas. I definitely don't have high quality stuff, but that is because I am still getting a grip on painting.

I have actually never had this happen before with my apple barrel paint, but I guess there is a first for everything.
That's the curse of the apple barrel all right. It's also a fairly thin and uneven coat, which isn't helping.

The paint is Apple Barrel, and I don't know about the canvas. I definitely don't have high quality stuff, but that is because I am still getting a grip on painting.

I have actually never had this happen before with my apple barrel paint, but I guess there is a first for everything.
That is a pretty major crack! I'm glad you can use it in the painting. You might want to switch brands, although I've used Apple Barrel and had no issues like that. And a good way to introduce yourself to professional paints is by getting only black and white. The craft paint and professional acrylic paint can be mixed no problem.

I used craft paint for years before finally switching over to artists' acrylics. I wrote about it here: https://gscartwork.blogspot.com/2019/03/can-you-create-great-paintings-using.html

Edited to add that Liquitex Basics and Liquitex Professional are both used by and are suitable for professional artists. Both are lightfast and archival. The only difference is the pigment load. The opacity of the Basics is more similar to craft paint.

Last edited:
Hi, my name is Tressa. Art wise I used to do a little bit of everything. Some sculpting, wood carving, painting (acrylic and oil), making realist faux flowers for weddings, restoring antique furniture, quilting etc. Never professionally just in my free time although I quit for a while. However, I just bought some Rosemary and co. Brushes while I am waiting on some Liquitex acrylic paint and canvases to arrive. I would love to someday sell a painting, but that’s more of a bucket list item and if I sold just one I would be happy with that😂 Since it’s been awhile and my photos did not transfer to my new phone I only have one picture of a painting I started years ago, but never finished. You can see I never finished the halter, muzzle, mountains and grass, but it was fun piece to work on until I put the brushes away for awhile.
IMG_7561.jpeg

That is a pretty major crack! I'm glad you can use it in the painting. You might want to switch brands, although I've used Apple Barrel and had no issues like that. And a good way to introduce yourself to professional paints is by getting only black and white. The craft paint and professional acrylic paint can be mixed no problem.

I used craft paint for years before finally switching over to artists' acrylics. I wrote about it here: https://gscartwork.blogspot.com/2019/03/can-you-create-great-paintings-using.html

Edited to add that Liquitex Basics and Liquitex Professional are both used by and are suitable for professional artists. Both are lightfast and archival. The only difference is the pigment load. The opacity of the Basics is more similar to craft paint.
Those cracks are all over the canvas. It made me more upset yesterday because I was already not having a good day. Today I looked at it with a more positive light and decided what to do about it!

I will take a look into more professional paints!

Back
Top Bottom