1 year old chicken lethargic, runny poop

Mrsmallari

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2023
Hello! One of my girls isn’t acting normal. Head tucked, runny poop drinking lots of water. I don’t think she’s layed in a couple of days. We had a hawk attack a couple days ago and i have been keeping them in the run when they usually free range. She didn’t get attacked (my poor silkie baby did) but not sure what’s going on with her! I haven’t seen her eat yet and she’s usually a hungry girl!

I’m going to try epsom salt bath in case she’s eggs bound. I think i feel an egg but im not sure what to feel for. Posting pictures of her poop.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_8733.jpeg
    IMG_8733.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8730.jpeg
    IMG_8730.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
How does her crop feel? Can you get her drinking some water with sugar or electrolytes? Offer some mushy wet chicken feed if she drinks some. If you suspect her being egg bound, give her a human calcium tablet or Tums into her beak to swallow. The Tums would need to be cut in half. Calcium citrate with D 3 is fastest acting, but use what you have. A warm towel would work as well as a soak if she is acting very weak.

IMG_8744.jpeg

She just pooped this out or laid it…after an epsom salt bath

Her crop feels squishy but doesn’t seem “sour” but i haven’t dealt with that so I’m not sure!

Just found her like this with a whole yoke! No signs of her eating just the shell
Hello, @Mrsmallari. How is your hen doing? I had a hen die from being eggbound last week and I wanted to make sure you and your hen are doing well.
I believe 600 mg of Calcium Citrate is what I have heard is best to give immediately as soon as you see signs of a hen being egg-bound.
Here is a thread I made for my hen before she died. There were a lot of kind, knowledgeable people that came to our aid:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help-eggbound-possible-prolapsed-vent.1618432/
(P.S. I totally posted the wrong link the first time but this is the correct one now.)

I don't know if anything in it will help you, but I wanted to send it just in case. I will be praying for you and your hen. 🤗

Last edited:
She definitely is having problems with her shells being soft. It looks like in the photos that she had passed a soft membrane, the albumen, and the yolk all separately. Salpingitis could be a possibility, a problem with her shell gland in the oviduct, or a calcium deficiency may be possible. I would give her 1 human calcium citrate with vitamin D3 tablet 330-600 mg orally today and for the next 7 days. They can feel very weak when this is happening, so I would encourage her to drink fluids and eat.

Hello, @Mrsmallari. How is your hen doing? I had a hen die from being eggbound last week and I wanted to make sure you and your hen are doing well.
I believe 600 mg of Calcium Citrate is what I have heard is best to give immediately as soon as you see signs of a hen being egg-bound.
Here is a thread I made for my hen before she died. There were a lot of kind, knowledgeable people that came to our aid:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help-eggbound-possible-prolapsed-vent.1618432/
(P.S. I totally posted the wrong link the first time but this is the correct one now.)

I don't know if anything in it will help you, but I wanted to send it just in case. I will be praying for you and your hen. 🤗
Hi there! Thanks so much for checking in! She survived the night so I'm happy! I let her outside for about 30 min and she scratched around a little bit so that is good! I have been giving her calcium with a little oregano oil on it. Thanks so much for sending me your post! I appreciate it so much! Will keep you updated.

She definitely is having problems with her shells being soft. It looks like in the photos that she had passed a soft membrane, the albumen, and the yolk all separately. Salpingitis could be a possibility, a problem with her shell gland in the oviduct, or a calcium deficiency may be possible. I would give her 1 human calcium citrate with vitamin D3 tablet 330-600 mg orally today and for the next 7 days. They can feel very weak when this is happening, so I would encourage her to drink fluids and eat.

Hi! She made it through the night but hasn't laid an egg today yet. I let her outside for a little while today and she scratched around so that was good. I saw her eat and drink and her poops look more normal so that's good. I know how fast chickens can go down hill... Hoping for the best. Thanks for the reply

Back
Top Bottom