18 month old call duck hen growing drake feather

Strawberry74

Songster
Mar 11, 2022
From what I've been reading it's possible for hens to develop a drake feather. I have a 18 month old black Magpie hen that was laying eggs all summer and is now developing a drake feather after her molt. I have reduced the number of ducks and drakes, but I still have both in the flock. Does this mean she won't lay fertilized eggs any longer or is this just a strange phase? I'll be really sad if she doesn't lay eggs and give me more babies. She's so beautiful and such a great specimen of black magpie. She is really bossy but always has been. Her mama recently died at only two and a half years of age during her molt.

1000011064.jpg
20241022_174936.jpg

I don't know if a drake curl is for sure a sign of the end of laying. I have a hen that this happened to. She is a Welsh Harlequin and males have different colors. She got drake colors as well. Her size and her voice have not changed. I don't think she has laid any eggs after the changes.

Hi.

One of my White coloured Runner hens had been turning into a drake, some months ago...
...Poor girl has died before the turning was complete.

What I remember is :
• feathers on her tail were curling up;
• at the end, she did not quack anymore : her voice had indeed become raspy like a drake's one (at least until she stopped vocalizing altogether);
• she had entirely stopped laying eggs.

I know she was not turning into a drake to become a dominant duck - given I already had several drakes...

I think she had an infection or something; maybe a tumor...?
(In any case, she clearly died from that...)

...Sadly, that is more common what we think...

I am NOT telling you your duck is dying, but still : I would monitor her... just in case, you know?

...Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom