1F2M

I just realized from an earlier R2elk post that if I find a bourbon red hen, I can cross her with my royal palm tom and have sex-linked poults. Is this worth pursuing?

I just realized from an earlier R2elk post that if I find a bourbon red hen, I can cross her with my royal palm tom and have sex-linked poults. Is this worth pursuing?
The problem is that in that case the poult's color pattern is very close and difficult to distinguish between the two varieties.

You can use the Turkey Color Calculators to see which cross will give distinguishable colors between varieties.

Using a Royal Palm tom with a hen of a different variety will provide sex linked poults.

Off the top of my head crossed with a Bronze hen will make Bronze toms and Narragansett hens. With a Bourbon Red hen they would be Red Bronze toms and Golden Narragansett hens.

The one that I can think of that makes distinguishable poults is a Chocolate tom over a Black hen. All the Chocolate poults will be hens and all the Black poults will be toms.

The problem is that in that case the poult's color pattern is very close and difficult to distinguish between the two varieties.

You can use the Turkey Color Calculators to see which cross will give distinguishable colors between varieties.

Using a Royal Palm tom with a hen of a different variety will provide sex linked poults.

Off the top of my head crossed with a Bronze hen will make Bronze toms and Narragansett hens. With a Bourbon Red hen they would be Red Bronze toms and Golden Narragansett hens.

The one that I can think of that makes distinguishable poults is a Chocolate tom over a Black hen. All the Chocolate poults will be hens and all the Black poults will be toms.
Very interesting! Do you know if tri-color mottled black is distinguishable from regular mottled black, at hatch? The sample photos from the Turkey Calculator look easily distinguishable to me, but it's possible that they chose the most obvious examples to photograph:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-07-20 at 9.44.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-07-20 at 9.44.25 AM.png
    589.9 KB · Views: 3
Very interesting! Do you know if tri-color mottled black is distinguishable from regular mottled black, at hatch? The sample photos from the Turkey Calculator look easily distinguishable to me, but it's possible that they chose the most obvious examples to photograph:
It depends how much brown the poult has. The Tri-colors will have some brown markings, usually a spot on the head where the regular Mottleds will not have any brown on them.

It depends how much brown the poult has. The Tri-colors will have some brown markings, usually a spot on the head where the regular Mottleds will not have any brown on them.
A spot on the head is good enough for me! Thank you for the lead :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom