2-3 week old chicks heat lamp with high temps?

From my first chickies, I find those temps way to high as well. I am not going to even use 'heat' since mine don't seem to be looking for it, tho they do like lounging in the sunny window..I have the AC on in the house at 74, and my 2.5 wk olds are fine with that..Maybe it depends on the chickens? I agree watching them to see what they are doing (cold or hot) is best

I've got some chicks coming in next week, 51 of them -- our temps have been in the 90s during the day, 80s at night; I'm using a 12'x12' stall as the brooder and bedded it with straw. Working out there this afternoon it was around 100* inside the barn. Should I even be concerned about hanging a heat lamp in there? Or should I go out and getting a fan for them instead?

I've got some chicks coming in next week, 51 of them -- our temps have been in the 90s during the day, 80s at night; I'm using a 12'x12' stall as the brooder and bedded it with straw. Working out there this afternoon it was around 100* inside the barn. Should I even be concerned about hanging a heat lamp in there? Or should I go out and getting a fan for them instead?

Might want to put a fan blowing at one end of the stall so they can cool off if needed during the day and the lamp in another corner at night. And plenty of water. At least they will have room to move around.

Last edited:

Those temps won't require a heat lamp. I'd be somewhat concerned about 100F temperatures during the day. You'll have to simply watch them and use common sense. Standing with wings held away from their bodies and/or panting is a sure sign of over heating and distress. Piling up on top of each other and peeping wildly is a sign they are cold. Being cold isn't very likely with the temps you describe, but over heating is genuine concern. Again, Watch. Note. And exercise common sense.

Last edited:
They can go outside now. I put mine out at two weeks old and I have never had a problem. The "recommended" temperatures that I see published are way to high. Maybe that first day or two at 90 but after that lean towards the cool side. 10 degrees cooler than the recommended temps. At 3 weeks I take the heat lamp away. They all do fine and get into a chick pile if they get a little chilly and stay nice and toasty. If they start peeping loudly, non stop, then they are in distress. That's when you give them a little heat to see if they were cold.
Get them out, they'll be happier and will feather out faster.

I have a hen that is really loosing interest in being 'cooped up' with her one and only chick. She wants to join the flock, but my run is not built for a small chick and she is not a very protective mother. The chick is in its 3rd week now. It has not feathered out much, not sure why... but every time I go out to the hen house the mama is antsy to get out. I had thought I would move them to a larger enclosure this weekend to see if that would help. It too is in the chicken house, but lower with more room. This area has been housing an older group of chicks now 10weeks old and have been integrated in with the other hens, but have left their area open for the last week so they have a 'safe space' to run to. I have read that after 3 weeks they really don't need additional heat unless the temps drop low, but it would be alone, so it wouldn't have anyone to snuggle with. I have considered getting some additional chicks to hang out with it - not that I need any, but for the comfort of this chick. Hard to find chicks this time of year though, that are around 3-4 weeks old...

Back
Top Bottom