2 day black/white Chick what Breed??

Oct 24, 2021
SC
Hi, I purchased some Indio Gigante eggs on ebay. Out of 7, only 1 hatched. Only thing is, I've NEVER seen an Indio chick that looks like this. My initial stock came as chicks from Greenfire Farms - all varying degrees of brown/golden, varying from almost white to dark chocolate. My hens have hatched dozens of broods, all same color combinations. Now this little 1 pops out. Has anyone seen this color in Indio chicks? Years ago when I had Australorpes, their chicks looked like this. Seller is not responding, but I see they also sell Brama eggs. Maybe it's a Brama? Suggestions appreciated!

chick1.png

chick2.png

chick3.png

It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like dark chocolate or black. I think it'll likely feather out solid, but it should be interesting to see what color it ends up being.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like dark chocolate or black. I think it'll likely feather out solid, but it should be interesting to see what color it ends up being.
This chick is definitely black, not dark brown & white. The Indio Gigante chicks I've bought or had hatched by my hens have always been varying shades of browns/yellows.

I see they also sell Brama eggs. Maybe it's a Brama?
Brahmas have feathered feet. Your chick does not have feathered feet, so it is almost certainly not a Brahma or even half Brahma.

Also, black is not a common color in Brahmas. So I would not expect a Brahma chick to be black, unless the person specifically mentions having black or blue Brahmas.

This chick is definitely black, not dark brown & white. The Indio Gigante chicks I've bought or had hatched by my hens have always been varying shades of browns/yellows.
I agree the chick looks black. Unfortunately, I do not know enough about Indio Gigante to tell if they can come in black or not.

When it grows up, you may be able to tell more. Indio Gigante have a rather distinctive body shape, so you will be able to tell if the chick grows up to be shaped like a Black Australorp or a Black Minorca or some other badly-wrong breed.

It tends to stand up real tall at times, with longer legs than a normal maybe Australorp chick. No feathers on legs as NatJ says, but I've never seen the black legs in a Indio Gigante before. Any Indio chicks I've had always had orange legs.

Indio Gigante come in many color variations.

Legs are black cuz the chick is. The leg color will change to yellow with black wash, or green as it grows.

Indio Gigante come in many color variations.

Legs are black cuz the chick is. The leg color will change to yellow with black wash, or green as it grows.
True on color combinations, I have many with a good bit of black, even majority black when grown, but even those were brown or golden as just hatched chicks. I've just never seen this black/white combo in 1 of their chicks before. I didn't know black chick/black legs were always a combo. It'll be interesting to see what this fearless little thing grows up to be 🥰

True on color combinations, I have many with a good bit of black, even majority black when grown, but even those were brown or golden as just hatched chicks. I've just never seen this black/white combo in 1 of their chicks before. I didn't know black chick/black legs were always a combo. It'll be interesting to see what this fearless little thing grows up to be 🥰
The white you're seeing is normal on black chick down.
This is a Malay.
20240526_180349.jpg

Back
Top Bottom