2 guineas with wounds on their backs

Kaddie1

Hatching
Sep 17, 2019
We have two female guineas and 6 hens that have been raised together from chicks. Today we noticed that both guinea girls were missing feathers on their lower backs. Tonight when I shut the coop they were missing way more and had open wounds on their backs. I’ve noticed them fighting a little out in the yard but no pecking or pulling feathers. First, what could this be and second, I don’t think it’s possible to catch them to quarantine them, what can I do for their wounds?

Hawks can do that kind of damage and injury. I've seen this with one of my own hens that was attacked by a hawk. In her case, she was lucky to lose all her back feathers, I mean ALL of them, but she escaped without a single scratch.

For very hard to handle birds, I highly recommend Vetericyn wound spray. The best way to treat any bird that refuses to be handled is on the perch after dark with a flash light. For superficial wounds, mostly scratches rather than open wounds, I would just spray the wound spray on their backs for a couple nights running.

Back
Top Bottom