2 Week Old Pekin Ducklings Loosing Feathers?

featheredfashions

Songster
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
Florida
Hi,
New to the ducky world.
smile.png
Both of our 2 week old indoor Pekin ducklings are loosing their tiny yellow baby feathers on the back and side of their neck, near the side breast area. It's very noticeable when they are wet. They are with only each other when not running around the house. I've never owned a duckling before...is this normal?
hmm.png

Thanks,
Jennifer

They are chewing on each other. They'll get over it. I had geese in with my ducklings. They were forever tasting each other.

I thought the same about my ducks but it is just because the feathers are so so fine. Mine looked like bare skin when wet but fine when they dried off. They are just growing and still have to get feathers, well junior then the white grown up ducky feathers. Best to put a pic up so we can have a look.

Last edited:
Are they bald looking when dry too or just when they are wet? If it is when they are dry they are nipping
At each other ( totally
Normal ducky behavior) if it's only when they are wet, it's just cause their down isn't thick enough yet. Just wait til they start to feather out, then they look really strange
Going through their ugly duckling stage!!

OK, Now I feel really silly! lol So I woke up and fed them this morning and they look fine. It must have just been because they were still wet. I've never realized it being quite so noticeable in that area. Perhaps it's because their body is growing faster than the feathers. Anyhow, thanks for all the advice...the pekin sisters "Sparkle" and "Smalls" are fine....just an over reactive first time duck mommy! lol

Well...I don't have to ask my question, since this thread is almost identical to my situation. So, don't worry about appearing overreactive......I'm right there with ya! Thanks....Sandy

Hi! my 3 week old duckling is also appearing to go bald! at first it was just when wet, and I thought the real feathers were just poking through the down, but a week later her back is definitely getting bare, as are the tops of her wings (shoulders) and this morning the front of her neck also is getting bare. :-(. She eats chicken feed with brewers yeast added for Niacin- and lettuce. Should I put some sort of oil on it? Am I missing something in her diet? thx for your experience and advice!

Hi! my 3 week old duckling is also appearing to go bald! at first it was just when wet, and I thought the real feathers were just poking through the down, but a week later her back is definitely getting bare, as are the tops of her wings (shoulders) and this morning the front of her neck also is getting bare. :-(. She eats chicken feed with brewers yeast added for Niacin- and lettuce. Should I put some sort of oil on it? Am I missing something in her diet? thx for your experience and advice!
How many in with her? plenty of room? if both of those questions answer fine probably just normal. especially if yellow seems alot of yellow ducklings look bald before their feathers begin to come in. Do you give warm water swim time? if you give swim time and your duckling is preening most likely it is using it's oil gland to spread oil , no need to put additional.

Last edited:
She IS yellow, (a beautiful blonde with not-so-bushy locks?) and her one other buddy is 2 weeks old. They are still in a brooder most of the day, but I think they have enough room.They are usually snuggly, I haven't seen them pecking each other. They have a water dish to play in, and they sure do!
Thanks for the reassurance! I'll stop worrying about her then- as she seems fine otherwise! Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom