2 year old Chicken, low tail, yellow poop

Samtul

Chirping
Jun 15, 2019
Hi, my chicken has been ill for a couple of days, she didn't move much at at all today, just sat in the coop.
She has very bright yellow poo, treating with Amprolium as thought it may have been Cocccidiosis.
She is sitting quite high, with a low tail. She is not egg bound, I checked for this.
She is eating and drinking, just not moving.
I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas?
A bit of back ground, I have 8 hens, kept in a coop with large run attached, they are usually free range but, have to be kept in covered run at the moment because of avian flu in UK. The run is muddy at the moment because of this. They were wormed 3 weeks ago, have no mites or lice at the moment. Are fed on layers pellets and a small amount of mixed corn in the evening.
Thanks, Sam

It could be impacted crop or sour crop? Have you checked? Are they wormed regularly? What’s their diet? Can we have pics? Any nasal discharge, wheezing, sneezing, rasping, swollen eyes, etc? Any vent gleet?

Hi, my chicken has been ill for a couple of days, she didn't move much at at all today, just sat in the coop.
She has very bright yellow poo, treating with Amprolium as thought it may have been Cocccidiosis.
She is sitting quite high, with a low tail. She is not egg bound, I checked for this.
A bit of back ground, I have 8 hens, kept in a coop with large run attached, they are usually free range but, have to be kept in covered run at the moment because of avian flu in UK. The run is muddy at the moment because of this. They were wormed 3 weeks ago, have no mites or lice at the moment. Are fed on layers pellets and a small amount of mixed corn in the evening.
Thanks, Sam

I had similar issues. It's not coccidiosis, more likely it's more likely blackhead disease.

Thanks, Sam
Coccidiosis causes bloody poops. Blackhead is actually very common these days. Treat with Acidified Copper Sulfate. It has a 10% mortality rate among chickens, but keep in mind, it is likely all of your chickens have it and are asymptomatic.

Treat ASAP. One of the 'symptoms' is sudden death.

It could be impacted crop or sour crop? Have you checked? Are they wormed regularly? What’s their diet? Can we have pics? Any nasal discharge, wheezing, sneezing, rasping, swollen eyes, etc? Any vent gleet?
Crop is fine. They are fed mainly layers pellets. None of the other symptoms you've mentioned. I've just googled vent gleet, her vent is messy as she has been mainly sitting for a few days, but no discharge. I'll bath her today. I'll get a photo of her. Thanks for your help. Sam

Coccidiosis causes bloody poops. Blackhead is actually very common these days. Treat with Acidified Copper Sulfate. It has a 10% mortality rate among chickens, but keep in mind, it is likely all of your chickens have it and are asymptomatic.

Treat ASAP. One of the 'symptoms' is sudden death.
Thank you, I've just had a quick look into this. Do you knows if copper sulphate, without the Acidified, okay to use?

Chickens usually don’t suffer from blackhead disease, as turkeys do. Can you post a picture of her and the droppings? In chickens if they have yellow urates (the normally white cap in the droppings,) that can be a reproductive infection or ascites (water belly.) Sitting more upright is also seen in hens with reproductive problems, such as internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis. Does she have any enlargement in her lower belly? Has she laid eggs recently? What is her age? Can you check her crop to see if it is emptying overnight? I would worm her and try to keep her eating. An antibiotic might be helpful, but in the UK, you would need to see a vet.

I've attached a couple of photos, included vent area, which is now clean! She is around 2 years old. She is drinking and eating fine, just not moving.

Attachments

• 20230317_144126.jpg
    20230317_144126.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230317_144130.jpg
    20230317_144130.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230317_143929.jpg
    20230317_143929.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 3
I'd check to make sure her crop is emptying as suggested.
Getting a fecal float to see is she needs to be dewormed and/or treated for Coccidiosis.

Not a bad idea to offer some extra Calcium just in case she's having problems with an egg. 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 just pop the pill into her beak.

Yellow poop like that may indicate and issue with the liver or she may have something reproductive going on.

At this point, I would not be looking for Acidified Copper Sulfate. It could be used to treat sour crop or canker, but it's not generally used to treat Blackhead which is mainly a disease that Turkeys have. An anthelmintic like Fenbendazole (or Fluconazole since you are in the UK) or an antibiotic like Metronidazole are the usual treatments for Blackhead in Turkeys.
Coccidiosis in poultry can present in several ways, since she's an older hen, it's unlikely this is a problem, but a fecal float can tell you if you need to treat her with Amprolium. There are 9 strains of Coccidia that affect poultry and only a couple present with blood in the stool.

Back
Top Bottom