2 yr old hen stopped laying

Krugerrand

Crowing
Apr 17, 2020
SW Pennsylvania
I have 4 hens. 2 that will be 2 years old in a few weeks. The other 2 are just over 6 months. Each is a different breed and each has a distinct egg from the others.

My 2 year old black sex link laid a somewhat oversized and slightly misshapen egg about a week ago and has not laid another egg since. I had switched them from layer feed to all flock back in October. They have unlimited access to feed, grit, and crushed oyster shells. She got through her winter molt and winter darkness all while still producing pretty regularly. Always 3 or more eggs a week. So, I don't see a food related issue.

She's top of the picking order and has shown no signs of distress or any sort of problems. I isolated her one day to ensure she was eating/drinking/pooping regularly. ... All is good.

Should I be concerned? How long should I wait before I should be concerned?

Thank you.

She's top of the picking order and has shown no signs of distress or any sort of problems. I isolated her one day to ensure she was eating/drinking/pooping regularly. ... All is good.
Doesn't sound like there's cause for concern at this time.
Some hens just take a break.

One big reason hens stop laying is the molt. It's March and you are in Pennsylvania. That makes a molt unlikely but sometimes a molt can be triggered out of season by stress or a change of lighting conditions. Unless you are seeing a bunch of black feathers floating around I would not think it is the molt.

Another common reason we think they are not laying is that they are hiding a nest. I read that you isolated her for a day but is there a chance she is hiding a nest?

It sounds like the others are laying and hers is the only eggs not showing up as expected. That pretty much eliminates that something is getting the eggs.

She is acting healthy, that pretty much eliminates a disease. It does not sound like she has gone broody. I think she is just taking a break, which can happen.

One big reason hens stop laying is the molt. It's March and you are in Pennsylvania. That makes a molt unlikely but sometimes a molt can be triggered out of season by stress or a change of lighting conditions. Unless you are seeing a bunch of black feathers floating around I would not think it is the molt.

Another common reason we think they are not laying is that they are hiding a nest. I read that you isolated her for a day but is there a chance she is hiding a nest?

It sounds like the others are laying and hers is the only eggs not showing up as expected. That pretty much eliminates that something is getting the eggs.

She is acting healthy, that pretty much eliminates a disease. It does not sound like she has gone broody. I think she is just taking a break, which can happen.
Thank you for the feedback. There's no possibility of a hidden nest in the space they have. It must be she's on break. Hopefully it doesn't last too long. Being 1-egg down isn't so bad as being extra attentive that she's doing okay.

Back
Top Bottom