Open Contest 2025 BYC Calendar Photo Contest—We Need Your Pictures!

Pics
This is Independent-Leaner aka Indē -Lena.. Indē for short.
She's crippled but a determined will to live, it's incredible!

She's a 14 wk old hy-line by RiR/shaver cross and according to her sisters, is due to start laying in a week or two.

I've tried splints to straighten her legs/toes which was working for a while but without anyone to help hold her I couldn't continue. Unsure if she will be able to lay eggs because of the angle of her hips means her short life may have to come to a close soon.
Her will to live and determination has been so strong I couldn't make the decision. When she hatched her sisters held her up to eat. They sold at 10 wks old.
Sadly, it's getting to that time of having to "be cruel to be kind", I don't know if I should let her try and lay an egg or just let her go. (Anyone else who has had a chick like Indē that has any advice would be greatly appreciated) She's still growing but without help to strap her legs, I feel that she's doomed.

Indē lives in the kitchen in a crate so she can't hurt herself, but because of the constant rain she can't go outside often where she slips too much an trips over but she gets to hobble around the kitchen and talk to her mumma who's currently in another crate slowly recovering from pneumonia.

Pics taken with 2024 OPPO A38 50mp uncropped. Added 3 choices as a single entry, take your pick
IMG20240624190710.jpg
IMG20240624190718.jpg
IMG20240624190815.jpg
:)

Those with cameras or phones that have multishot, use it. You'll be surprised what turns up.. also use shutter timer. It eliminates shutter shake :)
Some things I've learned about photographing chickens;
Get your chickens used to seeing your phone or camera.
Watch out for distracting backgrounds.
Relax and take lots of pictures.
Have fun and GOOD LUCK!.🐔 🐓 🐣 🐥

Back
Top Bottom