2nd year

Greaner_pastures

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
CT
So this is my 2nd year with chickens. Didn’t give into chicken math, only stuck with four. I recently decided to expand their space though. This second area will start as an infirmary seeing as I’ve got two chickens with mystery cuts on their feet. After it will be opened up for all four to enjoy. Just waiting on my hardware cloth so I can wrap around the bottom.

Simple design, same as first run. Coop was given to me as a trade when I got chickens two years ago. Pallets make really good enclosure space especially if you have scrap wood to piece them together. I live in New England and the only thing different I’ve done this go through is a flat roof. (Yeaaaa I know the weight of the snow) I’m not extremely worried, I reinforced the roof extra strength and being a disabled vet I’ve got plenty of time at home so I’m not to worried about manually removing snow. This was all done in about two days (which was a fraction of the time it took me first go) and by myself. A friend would have made it easier and probably would have avoided the scrapes when putting up the hardware cloth but it couldn’t wait.

Seeing this extra space has got me thinking though…maybe it’s time to expand the coop and think about some more birds.

If you have done a DIY coop and have build notes or design notes or even pictures that you wanna share I’d love the ideas!

Attachments

• IMG_3569.jpeg
    IMG_3569.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3570.jpeg
    IMG_3570.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3571.jpeg
    IMG_3571.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
I love pallet coops, DIY cooping and expansion! If you follow my link to my coop, I also have a page showing the evalution over the years of my coop that started as a dog house and is now close to 120 sq feet. Started with 6 and now I have 13 but I could easily have more. Coop expansion has sort of turned into my main hobby :oops: I guess it keeps me out of malls and bars 🤣🤣 So yeah..... DO IT. First thing I'd consider if making it as comfortable as possible for you. Meaning you can open a door and walk in. Then I'd consider Roosting bars with poo trays under them. Look at the Large coops section for ideas and inspiration. ENJOY!

Back
Top Bottom