3 roosters!!! What to do??

leahcim823

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
So I took my chances on non sexed Bantam chick from tractor supply. Ended up with 3 roosters!! So my question is should I rehome these little guys or keep them and see how it goes?? I have only had 1 rooster who I lost him last year when we lost our whole flock to a bear...
I have 6 bared rock and 3 pullet bantams and 3 young rooster bantams (can't think of what they are called... Cockerels?)

Last edited:
Having to many roosters can easily take the fun out of a small flock. Keep the cockerel you want and remove the others. As previous poster said if you have the space.

I also ended up w two roosters out of three chick's purchased at an ag supply store. How does that work out to be a 10% chance?? I discovered the first one and sent him off to a local farmer about two weeks ago and just a day ago discovered the second of the three is also a rooster. Since I need more than one hen I purchased two more chick's to be introduced later to my one remaining hen:( In the mean time, will this hen be ok on her own for a few weeks? Keeping the rooster is problematic as they are illegal here and he is heartily crowing every morning now.

I also ended up w two roosters out of three chick's purchased at an ag supply store. How does that work out to be a 10% chance?? I discovered the first one and sent him off to a local farmer about two weeks ago and just a day ago discovered the second of the three is also a rooster. Since I need more than one hen I purchased two more chick's to be introduced later to my one remaining hen:( In the mean time, will this hen be ok on her own for a few weeks? Keeping the rooster is problematic as they are illegal here and he is heartily crowing every morning now.

If you want to keep one rooster, the no-crow collar is worth a shot
I don't use them because I don't need them, but I've heard that you have to move around a bit to find the "sweet spot" to keep him from crowing, rather than just tightening it.
This guy explains it well :)

I've read a little about the collar and other ways to keep a rooster quiet and I may try the collar, but for the sake of exploring all options can my hen be on her own for a few weeks? I would have the chick's pen near hers and she is about 2 months old now.

Your hen should be fine, sounds like she will see other chickens and won't be alone forever :) I should add that you may have to be very mindful of predators for her though, I would keep her in a smaller secure run at least while there are no other birds helping to watch out IMO

Last edited:
Your hen should be fine, sounds like she will see other chickens and won't be alone forever :) I should add that you may have to be very mindful of predators for her though, I would keep her in a smaller secure run at least while there are no other birds helping to watch out IMO

Thank you! I do have smaller enclosed portable pen with a coop attached that she'll be in.

I would keep all the boys until you have a problem arising, because you might never have a problem, especially if they were raised together. I have way more boys to girls than the typical 12 to 1 ratio with the only issue being that one of my boys is way big and can hurt the hens while mating. I usually have one boy to 2-3 girls.
It would be smart to separate the boys from the girls during the winter, though, because they tend to get more rowdy since there is nothing else to do. Just know that you should never separate the boys from each other if you can help it. They usually hate each other when put together again. I learned that the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom