4 yr old chicken walking using wings to keep upright

SheilaCA

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2022
Southern California
Hello Everyone,

My Hannah is 4 yrs old and has not laid an egg in 2 years. She has been doing well (with occasional diarrhea) until this past Sunday, when my husband and I cleaned her dirty bum. When we put her back on the ground, she could not walk properly. He said that her belly felt very large - which it is - more hard than squishy. She is in a coop by herself, as she tries to kill her sisters if given the chance. She eats an organic 16% layer pellet from TSC. She gets leftover homemade dog food (minced beef, chicken, veges, vitamins) a few times a week. We examined her on Sunday when this happened and found no obvious external injury. Her wings and her legs and feet are fine as far as I can tell. She seemed to be better on Monday - walking all around the yard - and last night she was worse again. I have attached two photos of what is happening to her. I don’t know how to attach a video. She has fresh and clean water, she is still eating and drinking fine. Her diarrhea was bright green last week (never seen that color before) and for the past 2 days has turned watery, white and yellow. She has been responsive to Corrid over the past 2 years since she stopped laying and began to have diarrhea. Her poop had been normal most of this year. She has not been wormed. She has no external parasites that I have noticed. She has plastic coop, so no wood for the little critters to invade. Please let me know what you all think may be wrong. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_8817.png
    IMG_8817.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8816.jpeg
    IMG_8816.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8802.jpeg
    IMG_8802.jpeg
    785.4 KB · Views: 5
I'm sorry your going through this, as your not alone. It's called Ascites or Water Belly and it's a pretty serious disease. Let me try to find a link for you to read up on it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/water-belly-eyp-draining-thick-yolk.1624868/

(I just got to work but I will try to find some more articles later for you)

My Sapphire Gem has it now and I've made a call to vet, got her on antibiotics and it went away for a short while but came back. 1 time I've noticed the tip of her comb was blue but its back to being red now. She hasn't laid an egg for about a year and when she did then I was giving her calcium pills. It's a reproductive issue that effects the heart and lungs and they usually don't recover 😭 💔 Most likely you'll have to get a syringe to put in belly to drain the fluid. I love my Mumbles so much and trying to just keep her happy and right now she's doing good but I know it won't last.

Back
Top Bottom