5 Week Old Chicks - Do They Still Need a Heating Plate?

The first thing most of us will ask when someone posts about sick chicks is, "What temperature are they at?" The guideline is just a recommendation by most chick experts, as are other things we may or may not agree with.

Once we observe our chickens and see how they are doing, we change for them.

I combed through and didn't see anyone saying that down was a horrible insulator so not sure who told you that. To the contrary, I used to catch guff on FB because we heat our coop (40F). I've gotten parroted the old, "they're wearing down coats and don't need heat" speech a number of times. I avoid FB unless I'm selling chicks. 😊
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean this thread in particular - I meant anywhere and everywhere you google things. It's constantly parroted that 'they are babies and *only have down*' etc

Just 'cause I don't know, What is "FB" ?
Yes, sorry, FB is Facebook, where there are poultry groups, unlike this group. People in those groups tend to be much more into conspiracy theories, judgmental, and outright mean to others who post posts or replies to posts they don't agree with. I've often wondered if most of them actually have chickens.

Ever see someone new posting here on BYC about a problem they're having, and insert something like, "Please be nice"? They are used to the Facebook groups.

99% of the people here are not like that. That's why I stay with BYC, and only use Facebook poultry groups for my state/location for selling chicks.

I hatched two serama/mille fleur chicks this year--they're teeny tiny. I'm in St. Paul, MN, and they hatched May 5th. I had them in a brooder pen with a brooder plate in the house for about a week. Then I used hardware cloth to screen off a part of my run, and moved the babies and the brooder plate out there. It was a small enclosure, well sheltered from wind and wet. I don't have data to support my claims--this was my first year hatching AND brooding outside--but I think the chicks feathered out really fast. They learned the waterer and feeder by watching the big hens, and it was pretty easy to integrate the flocks. I started by giving the chicks the run of the coop while the bigs were free-ranging or in the tractor. Then I let them mix, under supervision, while everyone free-ranged or hung out in the tractor. I took down the barrier entirely when I discovered that one of the hens had figured out how to get around it and had laid an egg in the middle of the chick enclosure. :) They're 4+ weeks old now, doing everything the bigs do. I'll pull the brooder plate out once I stop seeing the chicks under there at night. And I've had the pleasure of baby chicks without the hassles of house chickens. Outside brooding, without a lot of fuss about exactly what the temperature is, etc, has been a brilliant experience. Would absolutely do it again.

I have been reading that 5 week old chicks do/ do not need heat. Thank you!!
For what it is worth, I've had four week old chicks in an out door cage without any issues. I left the little carry home box in there with them (after cutting a 'door') and they used it at night (keeping one another warm) but rand about like cheerful chicks once the sun rose in the East.

I hatched two serama/mille fleur chicks this year--they're teeny tiny. I'm in St. Paul, MN, and they hatched May 5th. I had them in a brooder pen with a brooder plate in the house for about a week. Then I used hardware cloth to screen off a part of my run, and moved the babies and the brooder plate out there. It was a small enclosure, well sheltered from wind and wet. I don't have data to support my claims--this was my first year hatching AND brooding outside--but I think the chicks feathered out really fast. They learned the waterer and feeder by watching the big hens, and it was pretty easy to integrate the flocks. I started by giving the chicks the run of the coop while the bigs were free-ranging or in the tractor. Then I let them mix, under supervision, while everyone free-ranged or hung out in the tractor. I took down the barrier entirely when I discovered that one of the hens had figured out how to get around it and had laid an egg in the middle of the chick enclosure. :) They're 4+ weeks old now, doing everything the bigs do. I'll pull the brooder plate out once I stop seeing the chicks under there at night. And I've had the pleasure of baby chicks without the hassles of house chickens. Outside brooding, without a lot of fuss about exactly what the temperature is, etc, has been a brilliant experience. Would absolutely do it again.
I have relatives down by you. Buffalo, Milaca, Princeton, and Motley.

Our hubby-built brooders are in the house but we use horse bedding pellets so they don't stink and it somehow cuts down on the dust, plus they are waist-high. However, we're currently buying a second Amish shed, 12x20' for breeding and one side will be brooders. I'll still keep one of the brooders in the house for the newly hatched for their first few days, then out they'll go.

Back
Top Bottom