51 LF Cornish Eggs in the Incubator

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
I just set 51 LF Cornish eggs in my incubator! 37 eggs from my LF Dark and Jubilee (white/dark cross) Cornish, and 14 shipped LF White Cornish eggs I bought. So excited to get back into hatching my own meat birds. First time hatching chickens in 4 years I think. I’ve done 2-3 batches of guineas 3 years ago but that’s it.
2C1A7448-25CE-454C-9803-72CCF02DD9D8.jpeg

Edit: my goal here is to move to only having LF White Cornish. As much as I love how beautiful my Darks are, the whites/jubilee give a much cleaner looking carcass. Also I want to simplify my breeding plans by going to one color. Dealing with 5 boys 9 and under is hard enough.

Just candled my Cornish eggs, 11 of 37 of my eggs came up either infertile or early demises. 4 of them the eggsall came from one hen. I know because she lays a bigger and lighter egg than the other Cornish. I’ll be shifting her over to another rooster for my next hatch.

4 of 14 of my shipped eggs look to be infertile. I left them in the incubator just in case I just couldn’t see clearly. That is better than I expected.

All in all not too bad for my birds that are all 4+ years old.

Back
Top Bottom