6 day old chick with diarrhea

hrhdianalynn

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2022
Good morning everyone! I have been putting off asking this question of you all because I knew there would be 1000 more that are similar, so I have went through threads and threads, took the advice, and am sill having issues so I had to break down and ask!

We have 2 very energetic, loud, outgoing, and very loved Ayam Cemani chickies that were born on the 4th of July! Their names are Tweedle-dee and Doodle! One had sort of a hard start to life; it pipped the wrong end of the egg, ended up going about 26 hours and then we decided we needed to help it because it was shrink-wrapped. We helped it after very many hours of research on here, and everything went very smoothly from there, minus a curved foot that we fixed with a cardboard shoe in about 36 hours! :) They are brooding in a clear tote with high sides, food, water, and a brooding plate. The ambient room temperature is about 80 and they have classical music on. :) (I am crazy, I know!)

For the past 2.5 days, the younger one has had watery diarrhea. Yesterday we noticed and had to clean pasty butt 2 times and both times it went about its business after screaming at us for a bit! Yesterday morning when we first noticed it, I went to the farm supply store and grabbed CORID 9.6%, some sav-a-chick probiotics, and a syringe to measure. We started treatment (9.6 ml of CORID and one packet of probiotics for one gallon of water). Both chicks have been drinking the water, and still eating the medicated chick starter just fine! They are both energetic, bright eyed, loud, and playful. However, the one just can't kick this diarrhea and I am so worried.

Is there anything else that any of you would try in addition to what we are already doing? I didnt know about electrolyte treatment since they are both eating and drinking normally. We are so worried we have done something wrong, and are just sick over this thinking of what else to do to help this guy! We are so attached to them already, and I would be crushed if something bad happened.

I will attach photos of both the chicks in their current moods, as well as the diarrhea photo from the 3rd brooder cleaning this morning! Thank you so much!

Attachments

• tempImageKKMqxm.png
    tempImageKKMqxm.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 36
  • tempImageWcVce0.png
    tempImageWcVce0.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 19
  • tempImageHVwWWV.png
    tempImageHVwWWV.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
We have 2 very energetic, loud, outgoing, and very loved Ayam Cemani chickies

Yesterday morning when we first noticed it, I went to the farm supply store and grabbed CORID 9.6%, some sav-a-chick probiotics, and a syringe to measure. We started treatment (9.6 ml of CORID and one packet of probiotics for one gallon of water). Both chicks have been drinking the water, and still eating the medicated chick starter just fine! They are both energetic, bright eyed, loud, and playful.
Corid Liquid is 2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

What is the temp in your brooder on the cool side and warm side?

Energetic, loud, outgoing, bright eyed, playful doesn't sound like sick chicks to me.

Sometimes if chicks drink a lot of water the poop can be more liquid. I don't see anything concerning in your photos.

Corid Liquid is 2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

What is the temp in your brooder on the cool side and warm side?

Energetic, loud, outgoing, bright eyed, playful doesn't sound like sick chicks to me.

Sometimes if chicks drink a lot of water the poop can be more liquid. I don't see anything concerning in your photos.
Thank you so much for your reply! The brooder is about 85-ish on the cool side, and I can’t tell for certain underneath the brooding plate since it is more ambient heat and doesn’t warm the air. However, it definitely seems a lot warmer when I put my hand underneath of it, and the plate itself is very warm when you touch it. I did adjust it taller yesterday because they’ve grown so much in the past few days, it was becoming a limbo game for them to go under. I thought maybe it was too cool overall in the box, so I put a small heater on in the room, but they became quite noisy and obnoxious after a few minutes so I turned it back off.

85 is plenty warm for the cool side. I'd let it go cooler if possible.
Chicks only need one warm spot to get under and that's what the heat plate is for.
Okay, thank you so much! My husband and I were arguing over that so I’ll have to tell him he was right. Haha! I thought the whole box should be 90, he said just under the heat plate. I didn’t want them to get cold so I had it a sauna in there for a bit! I’ll go cool it down some. Thank you again!

Okay, thank you so much! My husband and I were arguing over that so I’ll have to tell him he was right. Haha! I thought the whole box should be 90, he said just under the heat plate. I didn’t want them to get cold so I had it a sauna in there for a bit! I’ll go cool it down some. Thank you again!
No, you don't want the whole brooder at 90.

Think of it this way. A Mama Hen is a walking brooder plate. Her chicks run about eating/drinking/playing regardless of what the ambient (outside) temperature is. It can be cold or hot outside. When chicks want to warm up, they run under her and snuggle into her feathers to take the chill off.

I've had chicks running about in the rain with broody hens and temps down in the 50s. I've had chicks in a brooder with a heating pad when temps were in the 20s at night. They don't need continual heat, just that one warm spot.

Anyway! You report they are playing, eating/drinking, seem happy and active so it sounds like they are doing just fine. :)

Sometimes chicks have watery diarrea in the beginning as long as the are acting normal they are fine it will harden just keep an eye on the pasty but that is normal too

Back
Top Bottom