7 week chick with lazy eye?

AchromicSkies

Hatching
Aug 17, 2024
Recently I bought 3 Silver laced Orpingtons, all 7 weeks old. Originally talking to the owner she never mentioned any issues with the bird. When we met to pick them up though, she said one of the birds had a 'lazy eye' so she wouldn't charge me for it. I paid for the other two which seem to be in good health and brought this one along for free. It otherwise seems healthy to me, except for what's going on with the eyes. I'm still fairly new to owning chickens, and google wasn't much help so figured I would ask here.
Is this something that can be treated? Some sort of illness? Or is it a birth defect? I'm not entirely sure. One eye seems to be worse then the other.

Edit: I contacted the breeder and she said the chick hatched like this, with the odd eye. Hoping that means its not an infection or illness, although I'm not sure.

IMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0777.JPG

Last edited:
I would be concerned that she is showing signs of MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum,) a chronic contagious respiratory disease. It is spread from a carrier or through hatching eggs. Does she ever have any eye bubbles or foam in either eye? Is she a bit sleepy or lethargic? Do you have other chicken or poultry besides these 3 new ones? Tylosin or Denagard are common antibiotics that treat symptoms of MG, in the water and are available online. Terramycin eye ointment can be put into the eye twice a day. Would the breeder take her or all of the chicks back?

I would be concerned that she is showing signs of MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum,) a chronic contagious respiratory disease. It is spread from a carrier or through hatching eggs. Does she ever have any eye bubbles or foam in either eye? Is she a bit sleepy or lethargic? Do you have other chicken or poultry besides these 3 new ones? Tylosin or Denagard are common antibiotics that treat symptoms of MG, in the water and are available online. Terramycin eye ointment can be put into the eye twice a day. Would the breeder take her or all of the chicks back?
I do have other chickens, however I am keeping these ones in a separate pen, so as to try and help prevent any illness from spreading. The seller told me they have been dewormed but nothing else. I have not noticed any foam or bubbles in the eyes, but will keep a close eye. Anything else I should look out for?
I have a special needs rooster and am used to taking care of ill animals, if she needs help or treatment I will do my best to help her out. I have a feeling the breeder wont take her back, but im happy to help her out.

Back
Top Bottom