7 wk old suddenly sick chick

Breck6

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 25, 2012
This chick was fine on Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning she was found just laying in cage. She can't stand and her neck is just hanging there. I am giving her electrolytes and vitamins in water and a mixture of egg and cat food diluted with water to be able to pick it up with an eye dropper to feed her every hour or so. Her neck keeps going backwards and she opens her eyes every now and then. Any ideas on what this could be and what I could give her, or is it just a matter of time.

Hmm, I wonder if she's managed to break her neck. Sometimes, if they get startled, they will thrash around violently, and hurt themselves. If that is the case, you really should just make her comfortable.....

I am truly guessing at this point. Are the other chicks fine?

This little chick was in a cage with only one other chick at the time, and she is just fine. I was wondering if she could have broken her neck as well, but I wasn't sure if that meant instant death. She is still eating every hour or so, I guess all I can do is make her comfortable (I take her with me wherever I go in a little carrier lined with lots of soft washcloths) and see what happens. It is so sad to see her not be able to hold herself up.

Back
Top Bottom