8 week coturnix not laying

it's in their food. I hatched 12 of these and all treated the same. 4 put in a smaller cage started laying about 7 weeks. I hear one rooster in there. The largest 8 I put in a larger cage and nothing. I realized they are actually 8 weeks old tomorrow. But I didn't find any foam on any yet. The browns were foaming quite a bit. Same age, same hatching group. The browns were supposedly Ebay jumbos too, but I culled the 4 smallest yesterday (51 days old) and they averaged 6.2 ounces. The white ones are probably 10 ounces. My 8 JMF quail are 4 to 5.1 ounces at 3 weeks. 4 weeks old on Wednesday.

it's in their food. I hatched 12 of these and all treated the same. 4 put in a smaller cage started laying about 7 weeks. I hear one rooster in there. The largest 8 I put in a larger cage and nothing. I realized they are actually 8 weeks old tomorrow. But I didn't find any foam on any yet. The browns were foaming quite a bit. Same age, same hatching group. The browns were supposedly Ebay jumbos too, but I culled the 4 smallest yesterday (51 days old) and they averaged 6.2 ounces. The white ones are probably 10 ounces. My 8 JMF quail are 4 to 5.1 ounces at 3 weeks. 4 weeks old on Wednesday.

They need free access oyster shell in addition :) Layer feed is not always sufficient. Especially if they are laying soft eggs. Plus that lets the hens adjust their calcium up without the rooster getting the dose too.

Plenty of options to improve free access calcium. Oyster shell (unavailable in my area), finely ground eggshell (whip this up in my Ninja Bullet from used eggs) or sometimes available in bulk at the feed store, crushed calcium supplements from the vitamin section of grocery store or pharmacy, finely chopped dark leafy greens such as spinach or kale. The leafy greens is more work as you would change it out daily, and it would use up the 10% of their total diet for treats rule (even though not used as a treat, it will reduce their overall protein in their diet, so it counts as a treat).
Soft shell eggs can be a 'calcium' issue, it can also be an 'I'm new to laying and just getting the hang of this', or 'I'm done molting and getting back in the swing of things', or even an 'I'm done laying forever', or the worst issue of reproductive disorders. You know the life stage of your flock, and as you can see, rubber eggs although uncommon aren't THAT uncommon. To determine if your rubber egg issue is a signal of disease, observed your hen(s) posture and demeanor.

I got a normal egg today (from this group). My other groups are doing fine with eggs. Weights are 10 grams to 14.

I have noticed that as well... the males seem to be lean and the females seem to be fluffier .. yes.. a little larger

Yep that's been true for all of the White and Italian Coturnix I've owned :)

for one group I have, the 3 smallest are hens. Some are big.

It may not be true for all Quail as I know some people breed for size and I guess genetics for their sizing could probably be dependent on that. Age can also effect this, I generally only see a difference a month or so after they mature. Maybe females continue to grow longer than males? I'm not sure.
That being said, I'd never use size as a sole way to sex Quail, it wouldn't be accurate. I just wait till they are mature and vent sex them.

However, to show you the size difference I am seeing in my current Quail...

Male at the back, generally more slimmer streamline looking, more of a 'teardrop' shape. Female infront, more of a poofy ball shape a bit more chunky:
IMG_9149.JPG

Female Below:
IMG_9150.JPG

Male Below:
IMG_9151.JPG

Well, The female has a dozen eggs getting ready, from tiny pea size up to nearly ready, so that mess takes up an ounce or more, I bet.

Back
Top Bottom