8 week old chicks ! Temp questions ?

kbreak

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 1, 2011
Columbia, MS
I am new to chickens. They appear to feathered out pretty good. The temps this week at night are supposed to be around 40 -50. Should they be ok without a heat lamp? I moved them out to the bigger pen today. It is covered with tarps on 3 sides and top. They have a large pet carrier with hay inside. Will they be ok? Sunday temps supposed to get a little colder in the 30's. Will they be ok without a light? Should I put a smaller pet carrier in there so it will hold in there body heat more?
Thanks for information offered !!

Thank you ! Do you know anything about silkies? How can I tell when they are feathered out and don't need a light.

Is it just a couple of chicks? How many?

I agree with Fred's Hens but make sure that they are feathered out on their heads also (fully feathered) before you consider them fully feathered.

Silkies in my experience require more time to feather out and shiver when the other breeds are just fine.

What I do to transition chicks is to put a 100 watt bulb in the coop thus giving them a place to huddle if they become too cold but doesn't really heat up the coop much.

Be careful though because I had a heat lamp explode for me when it was under a tarp and raining. So I would NOT put a lamp out there under a tarp.

Is it just a couple of chicks? How many?

I agree with Fred's Hens but make sure that they are feathered out on their heads also (fully feathered) before you consider them fully feathered.

Silkies in my experience require more time to feather out and shiver when the other breeds are just fine.

What I do to transition chicks is to put a 100 watt bulb in the coop thus giving them a place to huddle if they become too cold but doesn't really heat up the coop much.

Be careful though because I had a heat lamp explode for me when it was under a tarp and raining. So I would NOT put a lamp out there under a tarp.

OMG !! That is awful. Now I have something else to worry about. I have been doing that for 6 weeks. The pen is 3'x7'x4' high. It is made from the plastic netting like hardware cloth and the top is that also. We built it for a hen and chicks. Now using as a brooder. The light is clamped on the inside and secured so it can't fall. Then there is a 2x6 board on top with the tarp over it so it has a pitch and water runs off. Hopefully I won't have to use the light much longer.
I may post some pictures tomorrow and get yall's opinion on whether they are feathered out enough. I think they will be ok tonight only gonna get about 55 degrees.

In my opinion all of my chicks have been fully feathered at 8 weeks, I say they would be fine. Again like the post above, how many do you have? If its just a couple I would leave the light on for them to be safe if its going to hit 30° if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:
my babies have been outside since they were 6 weeks old and did just fine. i have even incorperated them into the flock with no problem at all

I have 5 silkies 8 1/2 weeks old. Yesterday the temperature outside dropped down to 30F. I had them out in the coop for the night no lamp. They huddled together and were great the next morning.
Yes I was worried but the temperature was 50F that evening and dropped to 30F in the night and I knew the next morning the temperature would rise back up to 60F.
I wanted to share this information because I had a hard time finding an answer to the question I needed answered. As I am new to this and thought this would help the next person I hope this helps, I am no expert so please do your research and keep those chickens happy and healthy!

Thank you chickieB. I have 4 silkies, 8 1/2 weeks old and it’s getting down to 47 tonight. I have a thermometer in their coop and it says 58 right now. Your post is reassuring.

Back
Top Bottom