8 week old swollen upper eyelid for 2 weeks!!!!

Daisyllama

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2023
Hi all! New to chicken raising, and I can’t seem to find the right diagnosis and treatment for my 8 week old Maran, Darcy.

Two weeks ago I noticed my Maran had a swollen, red upper eyelid with minimal feather loss surrounding. I thought I figured out what it was and found a TS still selling Tylan 50, and started a 5 day .5 cc course if oral antibiotics. On the chance it was mites, I did a deep co-op clean, sprinkled in and around with dichotomous earth and put Vaseline on the effected areas. She has no symptoms other than swelling and a bit of feather loss. Like I said, it’s two weeks tomorrow.

The chicks do free range for a bit of the day.

The pix with the polka dot dress is on the onset, the other is now. Initially, I thought it was working due to the redness going away, but the swelling has progressively gotten worse since stopping antibiotics.

Should I start another round and up it to 1cc orally? I don’t want to overuse the antibiotics, but I want this girl to be healthy.

Please help! 🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺
IMG_7203.jpeg
IMG_7128.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought I figured out what it was and found a TS still selling Tylan 50, and started a 5 day .5 cc course if oral antibiotics. On the chance it was mites, I did a deep co-op clean, sprinkled in and around with dichotomous earth and put Vaseline on the effected areas. She has no symptoms other than swelling and a bit of feather loss. Like I said, it’s two weeks tomorrow.

Should I start another round and up it to 1cc orally? I don’t want to overuse the antibiotics, but I want this girl to be healthy.
Clean/flush the eye with saline and apply Terramycin in the eye a couple of times a day.

Do you see mites or lice? DE is not going to get rid of them, use a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray to treat for lice/mites. Make sure to treat their housing if bugs are an issue.

Tylan50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.
If she responded, then you may want to try again and see if it helps. Do you see any lesions inside the beak or infection in her ears?

Hi all! New to chicken raising, and I can’t seem to find the right diagnosis and treatment for my 8 week old Maran, Darcy.

Two weeks ago I noticed my Maran had a swollen, red upper eyelid with minimal feather loss surrounding. I thought I figured out what it was and found a TS still selling Tylan 50, and started a 5 day .5 cc course if oral antibiotics. On the chance it was mites, I did a deep co-op clean, sprinkled in and around with dichotomous earth and put Vaseline on the effected areas. She has no symptoms other than swelling and a bit of feather loss. Like I said, it’s two weeks tomorrow.

The chicks do free range for a bit of the day.

The pix with the polka dot dress is on the onset, the other is now. Initially, I thought it was working due to the redness going away, but the swelling has progressively gotten worse since stopping antibiotics.

Please help! 🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺View attachment 3542020View attachment 3542021

It is most likely Chronic Respiratory Disease aka Mycoplasma Gallisepticum aka Bubbleye.

I had several chooks come down with it.

Tylosin is a course of treatment, however Oxytetracycline is likely more effective.

If you can get it, Chinese Skullcap in conjunction with an antibiotic is fastest.

Since she's been ill for 2 weeks, it will be atleast 3 solid days of treatment before the swelling goes down.

See poultrydmv.org for the symptom checker. It's handy when troubleshooting chickens. But your photos were a big help.

CRD can manifest quickly or only have 1 symptom (swollen eye).

Back
Top Bottom