8x8 coop design or similar?

Sarah8

Chirping
Feb 6, 2022
Does anyone have any leads on a coop that could house 11-15
Chickens? 7x7 minimum since we have 11 chicks. Novice here with growing birds and I want to get something put together. Was hoping for any leads on pdfs spelling it out for what length boards, what to buy etc. Etsy is failing me. Doesn’t seem that hard but I’m psyching myself out! Would prefer elevated coop, slanted roof, with an ability for a run add on, and needs to be cold weather approved- minimal
Humidity. Thanks everyone for any leads!

I dont have the exact measurements because my dad built the floor and the framing for the walls, but this is my 8x8

I live in NS Canada, and the only bird that had any sign of frost bite this year was my rooster and it was just the very very tips of his comb.

1000035884.jpg

All he did for the concrete blocks under it was take a shovel to the dirt and level it, then level the 4 corners to each other. He added blocks of wood to get the right height. Built and 8x8 frame from 2x4s for the floor, i think he spaced them about 2' apart. Nailed on boards and built the wall frames on top of that.

The walls he built square the part that's slanted we added a small bit of frame to on top of the square wall frame just to have something for the wall boards to hang onto and the roof to sit on.

The roof was built the same way. We made a frame on the ground and made sure it was square. Got that up and then put plywood on it after the frame was secured to the walls.

The wooden boxes on the front and back at the top of the wall are wind shields. Behind them is the ventilation. The entire length of the top of the wall is open about 8" tall, with hardware cloth to keep critters out. Here's a pic before i had those boxes up.

1000017460.jpg

I also made external nest boxes:
1000035811.jpg

I started with a frame and attached that to the far side of the building at the bottom leaving about 4" of the bottom wall to try to keep the bedding out of the nest box.

1000035806.jpg

1000035809.jpg

Hope this helps give you an idea at least.

It took us about 2 weeks to get it together enough to put the chickens into, and i made necessary changes later, like adding the nest boxes, the run door, and the wind shield boxes.

Back
Top Bottom