A Bielefelder Thread !

Let the daily egg hunt begin!!!! She'll eventually find a nesting box, but until then you get to play a daily game.
big_smile.png

One of my Biel hens hatched from a pink egg, and the eggs she lays are pink at one end and graduate to a golden brown color on the other end.

Boy, I'll bet those are show stoppers!

Yesterday when I was gathering eggs I found a small light brown egg.  I was upset.  I have BCMs and CLs laying, where did this egg come from, which chicken laid it and how did it have mixed parentage?  Well...... it wasn't any of those scenarios..... it was the Bielefelders, they have started to lay at 25 weeks.  I thought I still had a month or so before they would start laying.  Never the less.... it was a nice surprise.
congrats!!!

Boy, I'll bet those are show stoppers!

I've got a pretty colorful collection of eggs each day. Several of my chickens lay blue eggs, two of my NNs lay pale green eggs, one NN lays a deep olive green egg, one NN lays a pale pink egg, one NN-mix lays a deep rosy/brown egg, one of my Biels lays a really deep brown egg, one Biel lays a spotted brown over tan egg....you get the idea.
big_smile.png

I've got a pretty colorful collection of eggs each day. Several of my chickens lay blue eggs, two of my NNs lay pale green eggs, one NN lays a deep olive green egg, one NN lays a pale pink egg, one NN-mix lays a deep rosy/brown egg, one of my Biels lays a really deep brown egg, one Biel lays a spotted brown over tan egg....you get the idea.
big_smile.png

What you've got there is a "BB" - BEAUTIFUL BASKET!!!!!

You're going to hate my answer, but I managed to witness every single egg that hatched this last time, making it easy for me to tell.
hide.gif

I also often remove my chicks from the incubator if they've been in there a while and have at least partially fluffed up. I find that my chicks do better when I do this rather than leaving them in the incubator to knock around the eggs. I also tend to get better hatches overall if I removed hatched chicks.
I use hatching baskets.
They are smallish (some are larger) plastic tubs you can by for stackable stuff on your desk...
I have paper towels lined in each & can put various eggs in each basket.
You can do the same with any sized tub or cube large enough to hold however many eggs you are to put in each tub.
Even a large margarine tub could be a hatching "basket" for 1 egg...so the baby would have room....it works & no one has to lift the lid on the incubator til it is time.

697bdce3-e3c9-4b12-be37-741d8751da3f.jpg
these are an examle, some are more square & make sure the babies cannot jump out, and mine are stackable, so I can set 2-4 tubs one atop the other on the incubator floor.

OK, I been quiet but finally have time to show you the F-3 babies, some of them anyways !
This is the F-2s bred back to a full Bielelefder, and we have these silvery gray babies, right in the center, and top left is a regular biel

They are very silvery gray, and have a very dark V on their heads...very prominate, very black, not dark brown at all, in the pic below you can compare them to a regular Bielefelder

two silvery gray hen chicks right in the center..".kissing"......
tongue.png

Notice the silvery-gray one in this box of regulars.........man oh man do I need like 4 more coops................have to build some breeding pens quickly for these guys to keep them separate.

OK, I been quiet but finally have time to show you the F-3 babies, some of them anyways !
This is the F-2s bred back to a full Bielelefder, and we have these silvery gray babies, right in the center, and top left is a regular biel

They are very silvery gray, and have a very dark V on their heads...very prominate, very black, not dark brown at all, in the pic below you can compare them to a regular Bielefelder

two silvery gray hen chicks right in the center..".kissing"......
tongue.png

Notice the silvery-gray one in this box of regulars.........man oh man do I need like 4 more coops................have to build some breeding pens quickly for these guys to keep them separate.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE chickielady! Can't wait to see pictures as they grow!

Back
Top Bottom