A single duckling brooder box?

So I should opt for maybe a duck under a week old to add in with my one week old duck? And should I just get one other companion or multiple? I’d hate for two or three newbies to band together and never bond with mine. :-(
I don't think that would be a problem. if it does happen then maybe you could put one with your current ducks and then after a day or two you could add in the others(If you get more than two)

Definitely best to get Chirp a friend, yes. I’ve had 2 ducks who were raised alone, and while they were able to socialize eventually, it took one 5.5 weeks, and the other 3 months to do so.. Having a friend to grow up with will bypass that greatly.

A mirror or stuffed animal will help until you can get Chirp a friend.

Ducklings introduced that young will have no problem bonding. They may bicker for a day or so, but that’s all.

Ducklings should stay in a brooder / coop until they’re fully grown, or ~2 months old. When full grown, they can free range during the day but should still be cooped up over night.

I wasn’t able to find a good duck diaper, personally, but I’m sure they exist somewhere. I haven’t needed them anyway, since my ducks are outdoors most of the time.

If you have other ducks you do not necessarily need a friend. A friend does make your life easier though. I have had a couple single ducklings as I tried hatching Dutch Hookbill’s for the first time. I kept my last duckling in a large aquarium (75 gallon) in my house. He had a big mirror, toys l, and a stuffed duck to snuggle with. I gave him lots of swim time in the bathtub or a busboy tub (started out slowly at first), to make sure he got enough exercise. Single ducklings tend to be couch potatoes and develop leg issues and angle wing as a result. I fed mine Mazuri waterfowl which floats so he would swim for it.
I took him to school with me every week day in a canvas bag with a plastic tub inside lined with a puppy pad (shelf liner too when he was young). Eventually his head stuck out the top and everyone called him my bag duck.

Even from a young age we visited the big ducks. In your ducklings mind, you are mom and you are introducing him to the flock. I would just sit cross-legged and he sat in my lap. Eventually, I had him stay in a crate by the big ducks for longer and longer amounts of time. Eventually, he wanted to stay with them at night also. He is now, a year later, the head drake of my flock of eight. He has not suffered any social issues. I will mention that he was the only drake with 6 girls when he joined the flock.
C7E16507-AD7A-4A58-BA1E-679CB8166E29.jpeg

255B799B-3BFD-46C0-9F87-1F2356921D3A.jpeg

Definitely best to get Chirp a friend, yes. I’ve had 2 ducks who were raised alone, and while they were able to socialize eventually, it took one 5.5 weeks, and the other 3 months to do so.. Having a friend to grow up with will bypass that greatly.

A mirror or stuffed animal will help until you can get Chirp a friend.

Ducklings introduced that young will have no problem bonding. They may bicker for a day or so, but that’s all.

Ducklings should stay in a brooder / coop until they’re fully grown, or ~2 months old. When full grown, they can free range during the day but should still be cooped up over night.

I wasn’t able to find a good duck diaper, personally, but I’m sure they exist somewhere. I haven’t needed them anyway, since my ducks are outdoors most of the time.
I just got Chirp a mirror and a stuffed friend and he has been happily sitting in front of the mirror and snuggling his friend! Great advice!! Thank you.

If you have other ducks you do not necessarily need a friend. A friend does make your life easier though. I have had a couple single ducklings as I tried hatching Dutch Hookbill’s for the first time. I kept my last duckling in a large aquarium (75 gallon) in my house. He had a big mirror, toys l, and a stuffed duck to snuggle with. I gave him lots of swim time in the bathtub or a busboy tub (started out slowly at first), to make sure he got enough exercise. Single ducklings tend to be couch potatoes and develop leg issues and angle wing as a result. I fed mine Mazuri waterfowl which floats so he would swim for it.
I took him to school with me every week day in a canvas bag with a plastic tub inside lined with a puppy pad (shelf liner too when he was young). Eventually his head stuck out the top and everyone called him my bag duck.

Even from a young age we visited the big ducks. In your ducklings mind, you are mom and you are introducing him to the flock. I would just sit cross-legged and he sat in my lap. Eventually, I had him stay in a crate by the big ducks for longer and longer amounts of time. Eventually, he wanted to stay with them at night also. He is now, a year later, the head drake of my flock of eight. He has not suffered any social issues. I will mention that he was the only drake with 6 girls when he joined the flock.
View attachment 3955211
View attachment 3955217
Wow what a wonderful outcome for your duck! I bring mine by his parents to hear them quack and have done so since day number two. I feel his little body calm a bit when he is listening to them and chirping back at them. I wished for his mom to take to him but she hasn’t yet :-( I will continue to desensitize her to his existence and maybe she will come around 🤞🏻

The mother duck doesn't know Chirp is her baby. Get him friends but try to set up a situation so that they can see the big ducks and the big ducks can see them. The sooner they get together the better. Keep them adjacent for a couple of days then let them be together. You'll probably find one of the ducks adopts the ducklings, but you have to keep watch.

Back
Top Bottom