A ten minute hatch***BAM***

Juliechickens

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Memphis, TN
So today is day 20 for my eggs and my first two pipped through this morning. One has not made any progress since and the other has cracked it's egg all the around the shell but has not yet come out. I've been watching that one all day waiting and waiting as it peaks it's beak out and chirps. A few other eggs had barely made their first pipping crack,,,I mean just barely! I left the room for ten minutes came back in and one of the chickens that barely had a pipped egg was out and running around the incubator chirping and strong as can be! It just caught me so off gaurd,,,it was not the chickens that were supposed to be next. It went from a non-broken shell to hatched in ten minutes! Is that normal??!!
The chick is doing great,,,feathers are drying still in the incubator. I've got his box all ready for him/her after it's dry. Food and water awaits. I feel sorry though for him if no other chickens will be hatched to go in the brooder box with him. I have the heat lamp on and waiting but how sad that he would go in there alone if no others hatch tonight....awwwww,,,,what do I do?
Julie:idunno

Jullie....im so happy your baby has arrived!! CONGRATS! As far as it being lonely....try putting a little stuffed animal in there with it, so it can cuddle. Who knows...maybe in the next 10 min...another will hatch?? WOOHOO! Good luck!

GREAT IDEA DEB! Thanks! I think I may even have a little stuffed chick since Easter just passed...ha ha. Will do it! Julie
smile.png
jumpy.gif

You might consider leaving the chick in the bator till tomorrow. If you open the bator to take it out it will change the humidity and could adversely effect the rest of your hatch. And with her in there running around and chirping she will encourage the others to go ahead and hatch.

Hmmmm, that's another good thought. What about how she runs around bumping the other eggs around...is it okay that she turns them around and makes them roll a bit as she wonders around? Is this okay?? Julie

Her rolling around the eggs is ok. JUST leave the bator closed! I did and found my hatch worked like POPCORN! Since they can survie 48hrs without food/water its okay. Plus the chick can encourage the others.

Back
Top Bottom