Abandoned Rooster

LisaB321

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2024
The tale of Mr. Roo:

Hi. I’m in Southwest Pa and someone abandoned a rooster on our busy road. I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to catch him for weeks. I found a micro farm that is willing to take him BUT I have to catch him. Hes got a pretty good set up. Hes right next to a creek, there are small trees to roost on, and in the middle there is a thicket. But this thicket is what’s giving me a headache. We’ve tried surrounding him (nope). We’ve tried going at dusk and standing sooooooo still with a net to get him (nope) and now I have a trap there with cracked corn and meal worms baited. I’ve only tried this today and will keep doing this daily until I find a better solution. I’m hoping that maybe you smart bird people can give me more tips or a better way to get him. I’m willing to try just about anything HUMANE because this week the weather is going to be brutal. 2 degrees and lower at night and only about 18-20 degrees during the day. I hate to see Him out in these elements even though I keep getting told that he is fine & can survive. I’ve been stopping everyday and tossing cracked corn all around but I Know it’s not enough. Can y’all help me please? Thank you all for your time and hopefully help 😁

Attachments

• IMG_8751.jpeg
    IMG_8751.jpeg
    632.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8756.jpeg
    IMG_8756.jpeg
    889.1 KB · Views: 20
Wow Welcome to Backyard Chickens first.
Maybe a it of canned tuna?
Really? Tuna. Huh, well that’s a new one! I definitely have some. I’ll have to try That one tomorrow because I’m about to go Grab the trap. I don’t want anything to happen through the night so I’m sticking to 9a-4p. Thanks for the tip!

The tale of Mr. Roo:

Hi. I’m in Southwest Pa and someone abandoned a rooster on our busy road. I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to catch him for weeks. I found a micro farm that is willing to take him BUT I have to catch him. Hes got a pretty good set up. Hes right next to a creek, there are small trees to roost on, and in the middle there is a thicket. But this thicket is what’s giving me a headache. We’ve tried surrounding him (nope). We’ve tried going at dusk and standing sooooooo still with a net to get him (nope) and now I have a trap there with cracked corn and meal worms baited. I’ve only tried this today and will keep doing this daily until I find a better solution. I’m hoping that maybe you smart bird people can give me more tips or a better way to get him. I’m willing to try just about anything HUMANE because this week the weather is going to be brutal. 2 degrees and lower at night and only about 18-20 degrees during the day. I hate to see Him out in these elements even though I keep getting told that he is fine & can survive. I’ve been stopping everyday and tossing cracked corn all around but I Know it’s not enough. Can y’all help me please? Thank you all for your time and hopefully help 😁
Wait till night, watch where he goes to roost and pull him out of the tree. If he’s flighty it’s the easiest way to get him. I just rescued two roosters myself…I’m sorry you’re having to deal with some person’s irresponsible actions - hope you have caught him by now or will soon!

Wait till night, watch where he goes to roost and pull him out of the tree. If he’s flighty it’s the easiest way to get him. I just rescued two roosters myself…I’m sorry you’re having to deal with some person’s irresponsible actions - hope you have caught him by now or will soon!
Hello. No, no luck yet. During the day I’m baiting a trap and at night I keep hoping he’s In a different tree but he has chosen one that is inaccessible. He chose to be 5 plus feet in the air AND it’s over a creek so I can’t put a ladder up to reach him. Everything is working against me and we’re having 17 degree days and 2 degree nights for the next week. Going to keep Trying. I’m thinking of getting the spring net that he just has to walk over. But they are pretty pricey and I’m on a budget.

I’ve watched those! But there are also ones that are popping up that are not humane and grossed me out. So make sure you don’t accidentally click on those 🫣

The tale of Mr. Roo:

🎉🎉HAPPY UPDATE!!! We got a lot of snow these past few days. I’ve been going up and feeding him cracked corn and TUNA (thanks for that tip he looooved tuna!) and every day he kept getting closer and closer. So today I went up with the usual AND a hand net. He seen me, came to me, and I waited for the right moment and BOOM! Got him!! I called the lady at the mini farm that was waiting on me to catch Him. She was so happy. She just lost her rooster to old age so Mr. Roo was needed. He didn’t fight me, didn’t make a fuss. He just sat in the cat carrier and finished his food lol. I think he was ready, tired of being alone with no hens to protect. So, a happy ending for him and also a break of worrying for me! I’ll post an update in a few weeks once he’s settled in with his new crew. Thanks for the tips y’all! 🎉🎉🎉

Attachments

• IMG_8808.jpeg
    IMG_8808.jpeg
    397.8 KB · Views: 16
🎉🎉HAPPY UPDATE!!! We got a lot of snow these past few days. I’ve been going up and feeding him cracked corn and TUNA (thanks for that tip he looooved tuna!) and every day he kept getting closer and closer. So today I went up with the usual AND a hand net. He seen me, came to me, and I waited for the right moment and BOOM! Got him!! I called the lady at the mini farm that was waiting on me to catch Him. She was so happy. She just lost her rooster to old age so Mr. Roo was needed. He didn’t fight me, didn’t make a fuss. He just sat in the cat carrier and finished his food lol. I think he was ready, tired of being alone with no hens to protect. So, a happy ending for him and also a break of worrying for me! I’ll post an update in a few weeks once he’s settled in with his new crew. Thanks for the tips y’all! 🎉🎉🎉
I’m so glad you were able to catch him! :love:wee

I am so happy he was been handled then.

Back
Top Bottom