Adjusting to the new setup

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
Hello,
I have reconfigured our set up to be more predator deterrent and provide a kid/family friendly yard for us to enjoy. Unfortunately, at the cost of the girls’ access to the entire yard. They have always had access to the whole yard. It’s been maybe 12ish weeks and I’ve lost one (I believe it was stress that brought out the MD) and worry about her buddy.
The flock has MD and MG so keeping stress down is a must!
They are definitely more stressed though as they are quarreling which was a rare occurrence. I have 9 hens. They have plenty of space, multiple feeding and watering stations, lots of places to scratch and roam, trees to lay under, two large dustbathing areas, benches, chairs and perches and I toss scratch to help encourage scratching in grass free areas that have lots of yummy bugs. They have killed the open grass area quite quickly and are eating down my plants that would usually be up by now since losing access to the full yard. I am attempting a “rotational grazing” by covering and watering large areas to allow the grass to grow in. I’ll move that cover around to encourage more growth though it has only been a week since covering the first area.
The girls are pacing the fence and calling to get out constantly.
I know some people toss in grass clippings but what length is safe?
I’ve started feeding fermented feed daily and they are finishing up their Tylosin dose. I’ve now eliminated treats outside very limited nuts/seeds, fruit, meal worms, shell and scratch to make sure they are eating mostly layer feed.
Is there anything I can do to help keep this new space green? Ways I can help alleviate stress on their system? And mostly, get my girls back to a peaceful thriving flock?

Thanks!

I’m bumping this up just to be sure no one has any other suggestions to tone down the stress and squabbling. I’m researching fodder and/or growing grass in raised beds covered with hardware cloth. If anyone uses these methods successfully, or had issues, I’d love to know.
Thanks!

I wouldn't feed them grass clippings unless the clippings are very short. They can't bite off pieces because the grass is not rooted. You might consider having a box of soldier fly larvae. You set it up so it is a few feet off the ground. The larvae get bigger and bigger, then crawl up the side and fall on the ground where the chickens get them. Some people keep a compost pile in the chicken area. They will scratch up and hunt larvae, which gives them something to do.

Yes, I was concerned about the grass clippings. We had one surgery for impacted crop a few years back so….

We have a large leaf compost area that occupies them slightly. I will toss a few treats (dried meal worms, scratch etc) or dig holes to get them scratching.

My hubs is considering getting some crickets to let loose back there. We used to have a lot of them and the girls would go crazy!

Soldier fly larvae farm, I’ll look that up.

We discussed it further this morning and he willing to build some raised beds for growing grass and adding in more natural perches that get sun for longer amounts of time. I asked him what was worth more to him, allowing free ranging and dealing with hosing and scraping poop or taking time and a few materials to make their area more similar to what they used to enjoy in the yard. He said creating a chicken yard more suitable to their liking. We have already invested in fencing and netting already🤷🏼‍♀️

Thank you @Penpal !

So they wore me down. I’m gonna let them free range when I’m home and keep them fenced when we are not.
We moved a raised bed they use to all preen on after a long day and wouldn’t you know they were quite content inside the fence once it was moved in with them.

I will use it to grow grass also.

You can’t see them well but they are all lined up along the fence dustbathing in the peat moss while digging up my berries, one of their favorite things to do.
IMG_7028.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom