Age of TSC chicks

I ask and they said that they start putting them in the shipping boxes 24 hrs after the first chick hatches and it takes 1 day to arrive at the store so they would be about 2 days old

I got some today and they have started wing feathers, they said they just got them in today so I am guessing they are 3-4 days old at our local TSC

TSC normally gets them in as 1 and 2 day olds on Mondays here. And yes wing feathers start right away, the chicks grow really fast.

Sometimes I wonder if they get them around the town they are in?

Some TSC get their babies from Cackle hatchery, some Meyer, some McMurray and I'm sure depending on where the TSC is located other hatcheries as well. I have talked to the people at 2 TSC around here and they both get their shipped in from an out of state hatchery. We dont have any hatcheries near here for TSC to buy locally.

Is it common to get baby chicks that are hatched different days. I have one that is developing feathers slower than the others and was wondering?

Is it common to get baby chicks that are hatched different days. I have one that is developing feathers slower than the others and was wondering?
Your chick may have a gene for slow feathering. It happens. Your chick will be fine. Body size and breed should also be considered when determining a chick's age. If it's the same size as its hatch mates, it's probably the same age.

If it's a different size, it could be from a different shipment or a runt, although runts (failure to thrive) aren't terribly common, and are determined over time.

Back
Top Bottom