Aggressive rooster and small children, really need some answers asap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I haven't read all the replies either. LOL

They say animals sense fear. It may be true. I just find it odd and a bit humorous that people fear chickens. But it is not uncommon the people fear things that are way smaller than they are. Like snakes, spiders, bees, cats , dogs and a bunch of other animals. I just can't wrap my head around fearing chickens. Poisonous snakes and spiders yeah. Bees, well some people are allergic and hell the sting hurts like a mother. Cats and dogs do lots of harm to people and that's their own pets. Chickens?

I have had many chickens and roosters in my life and those rooster were very aggressive. Only one was not. Even when they went after children and adults not once did I feel any fear or that any of them were under any sort of threat. Most of the time I was laughing to hard that people would run from them.

Now I'm not against getting rid or putting down a rooster for so many reasons. Being a threat to humans is not one that has ever crossed my mind.

You know my last rooster I had was aggressive very but that didn't stop the small man (vagrant who lived in the lots behind us) from killing him and taking the other chickens. He did his best. I wish that your fears would have been true that day and that Michael would have been even the least bit of a threat to that man.

This video was really frustrating. I didn't see a lot of actual fear of chickens. I did see way too much provoking and even adult encouraged provoking of roosters and broodies going on, and that saddens me. This is one of the reasons roosters have such a bad name, and probably a reason that some turn aggressive. I didn't find this funny, at all, actually quite the opposite. Regardless, I wish you the best with your flock

Yea, I've definately been weary today and yesterday so he probably does know. He was standing at the door of the run this morning when we came near almost as if waiting to attack.
Completely upside down? Like by the feet? Or kind of cradled upside down like a baby?
We have a lavender Orpington who went aggressive due to two Marans roosters (which we re-homed). We did the cradling him and walking around with him thing; making sure to hold tighter when he struggled. I also held his head and feet snuggly (not painfully) for dominance purposes. I am very happy to report that it worked like a charm; Cookie can be trusted again🥰

No need to get rid of your roosters! When roosters fight the alpha stands on the lower one and holds his head down for about three minutes. So what you do is copy this by holding him down while you sit over him and hold his head down flat on the ground. You can do this once in a while, while the rooster is growing up(the better way) or you can wait till he gets aggressive. Be sure to have your children do this too. He will quickly learn who is alpha! He is not a mean rooster, he is just claiming and protecting his hens.

We just purchased a rooster a few weeks ago, we only have a flock of 5 hens. When we first brought him home and for the first week or so he was wonderful. He seemed very sweet and gentle. Starting about a week ago he started attacking my smallest girl, he tried to attack my oldest girl who's job it is to feed them in the morning. She tells me he only did it once and I wasnt aware he was going after her. I thought it was only the smallest, who is 3 and I've had a rooster who did this before. We quickly got rid of that one. But I thought it may just be her small size, so I havnt left her alone with this one because of it . Well, now this rooster is also attacking me anytime I go into the coop. He grabbed my sleeve this morning and left a red mark on my wrist. I'm scared to enter the coop and so are my girls.
Obviously, we cant have this. My question is, is there anything that can be done to change this? Or do we simply need to get rid of him? He's a beautiful rooster and seemed great in the beginning, but no matter how beautiful or sweet I will not have a rooster that attacks. My girls, or myself. The first one he did it to was the smallest like I said, and I had to get aggressive with him and shove him away so I'm guessing he's attacking me now because I'm a threat?
For some reason, roosters seem to know that you fear them. If you run or act scared, that sends a signal for them that they are superior. NEVER run from them. Learn the signs of when they are going to attack: One wing down to the ground, going around in a circle, scratching the ground close to you, moving closer to you, zeroing in on you when you go into the coup. I always have objects in my hands, usually a long stick, or a bucket that I keep between an aggressive rooster and myself.

No need to get rid of your roosters! When roosters fight the alpha stands on the lower one and holds his head down for about three minutes. So what you do is copy this by holding him down while you sit over him and hold his head down flat on the ground. You can do this once in a while, while the rooster is growing up(the better way) or you can wait till he gets aggressive. Be sure to have your children do this too. He will quickly learn who is alpha! He is not a mean rooster, he is just claiming and protecting his hens.
Another thought: Remove the aggressive rooster from the coup. Place him in "time-out." When he returns, he'll be less aggressive.

For some reason, roosters seem to know that you fear them. If you run or act scared, that sends a signal for them that they are superior. NEVER run from them. Learn the signs of when they are going to attack: One wing down to the ground, going around in a circle, scratching the ground close to you, moving closer to you, zeroing in on you when you go into the coup. I always have objects in my hands, usually a long stick, or a bucket that I keep between an aggressive rooster and myself.

Please know that I am not questioning what you've stated, I am asking for my benefit and the opportunity to learn. I have 11 cockerels (actually 3 of them are roosters now). Two are human aggressive and can't be allowed to free range. My 3 little guys from my "teenager" bantam flock (hatched in August) are free ranged daily, by themselves, to keep them separated from the pullets. My little silkie (2.2 lbs) Blue, is the head cockerel, then my big silkie (4.6lbs) Zane, and last my Barred bantam cochin Carlos. Carlos is trying to figure things out and hasn't quite decided if he is going to be human aggressive or not. He will circle us with the dropped wing and has bitten us for picking him up on several occasions. I am wondering about Blue though. He has always enjoyed being held and massaged and will circle us with a wing dropped while looking us square in the eye, but he has never offered to bite or showed any other signs of aggression. He normally continues to "dance" until we pick him up and he melts into our arms and quickly drifts off to sleep (or at least he seems very comfortable). What do you make of this behavior? Aggression that he's not yet acted on or just a bantam trying to get what he wants from us?

This video was really frustrating. I didn't see a lot of actual fear of chickens. I did see way too much provoking and even adult encouraged provoking of roosters and broodies going on, and that saddens me. This is one of the reasons roosters have such a bad name, and probably a reason that some turn aggressive. I didn't find this funny, at all, actually quite the opposite. Regardless, I wish you the best with your flock

Fear? nah Scared a bit yeah. out of 58 encounters I only saw one that the person was provoking and the person videoing was encouraging the actions. And then there was like five where the person should have known better. The rest of the ones that were a provoked were by little children who are too young to know better. Adults encouraging? Not one did I see that they actively encouraged anything. Even the one give with striped pants, you can't say that was an adult telling her to do it. In fact the only one you can almost tell for sure it the was an adult (entire video not encouraging) recording is the man who chased after them and separated them.

Rooster have a bad name? I never heard of them having a "bad" name. Not for this. I heard people don't like them because they crow a lot.

Roosters are aggressive be because that's the way nature works. Roosters protect the flock, that part of their job. As I said before I have had several roosters and they were all (except one) Aggressive and not one of them was ever mistreated or provoked. That's one reason I hardly ever let other people's children near any of my roosters. Children are unpredictable.

Last thing. aside from the man I mentioned, I didn't get the notion that any of the people watching or taking video felt that the ones getting attack, were in any danger.

Fear? nah Scared a bit yeah. out of 58 encounters I only saw one that the person was provoking and the person videoing was encouraging the actions. And then there was like five where the person should have known better. The rest of the ones that were a provoked were by little children who are too young to know better. Adults encouraging? Not one did I see that they actively encouraged anything. Even the one give with striped pants, you can't say that was an adult telling her to do it. In fact the only one you can almost tell for sure it the was an adult (entire video not encouraging) recording is the man who chased after them and separated them.

Rooster have a bad name? I never heard of them having a "bad" name. Not for this. I heard people don't like them because they crow a lot.

Roosters are aggressive be because that's the way nature works. Roosters protect the flock, that part of their job. As I said before I have had several roosters and they were all (except one) Aggressive and not one of them was ever mistreated or provoked. That's one reason I hardly ever let other people's children near any of my roosters. Children are unpredictable.

Last thing. aside from the man I mentioned, I didn't get the notion that any of the people watching or taking video felt that the ones getting attack, were in any danger.

I will admit that I am a softie and there is no denying that. I kindly stand by what I felt was provoking. I watched the majority of them kick at and at least one, smack at (notice I'm not exaggerating and saying they did actually smack the bird) the birds. The adults know the outcome or they wouldn't be laughing hysterically. There did seem to be a few that showed concern for the human, once the bird reacted. The teeny tiny young (basically babies) toddlers that were offering food or doing something completely innocent (NOT KICKING AT, STOMPING AT, SMACKING AT) seems to be the only ones that aren't provoking, but still the person filming seemed to know exactly what was going to happen. I am trying to think of this from your perspective (just from what I have gathered without making any kind of judgment or pointing fingers, etc) and I can maybe see how you are taking it differently, and I can respect your views. I should admit that I was flogged by a rooster when I was a child. There was absolutely no provoking on my part. I was wearing green (hahaha! Yes kelly green pants and I remember how horrible they were then) pants and I believe that set him off. He was relentless and wouldn't leave me alone, no matter what. My dad had to rescue me from being continuously flogged because I knew that running was the worst thing I could do. I was 8 years old. My dad still can't believe that I have and love chickens. I said all of this because my fear stems from this. Usually fear stems from something and it's oftentimes out of folks hands. I work on overcoming my fear by learning to understand and respect roosters. I'm hoping that you might try to see things from other perspectives, but if not, I still only wish you the very best.
I apologize for steering so far off topic. I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Weekend

Yep, I totally get that. It's only been a few weeks so I may end up contacting the guy I got him from and giving him back, refund or not. I was just so hopeful because at first he seemed SOOOO sweet I called him sweet pea.
Are you wanting to incubate chicks? That is the ONLY reason to have a rooster. Hens will lay eggs whether they’re fertile or not. He’s protecting his flock. As long as he has hens, he’s going to be aggressively protective. My rooster waited till my back was turned, then he’d attack. A few HARD pushes made him wary enough so he’d think twice before attacking.

Are you wanting to incubate chicks? That is the ONLY reason to have a rooster. Hens will lay eggs whether they’re fertile or not. He’s protecting his flock. As long as he has hens, he’s going to be aggressively protective. My rooster waited till my back was turned, then he’d attack. A few HARD pushes made him wary enough so he’d think twice before attacking.

Having a rooster is not for just fertilization and hatching chicks. You even said another reason to have a rooster , to protect his flock LOL. They chase away smaller threats. They are also entertainment. I used to love watching mine do his little mating dance, tickled me pink. He would even find a bug or I would toss him a slice of bread and he would start alerting the ladies that there was food. It was so cool to watch. I also notice a few time that they keep the peace. The ladies would get all after each other had he would rush right over to get in the middle and break it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom