Aggressive rooster and small children, really need some answers asap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would bash him back and show him your boss. That's what I did with one of mine that did that.now he stays away. I chased him. And wacked him when you walk in the pen be the boss. Don't stay calm. Stand tall. Or if none of that works get rid of him and start one rooster of from a baby.

I would bash him back and show him your boss. That's what I did with one of mine that did that.now he stays away. I chased him. And wacked him when you walk in the pen be the boss. Don't stay calm. Stand tall. Or if none of that works get rid of him and start one rooster of from a baby.
That's what I was doing. But this morning I tried to play it nice when I went in and gave him a little pet, well he immediately turned on me. You cant give him your back either because he'll jump you.

Yeah I don't pat my roosters. If I do it's only when I catch him.somtimes I catch my roosters just to see how much they weigh. Cos mine are still young I have 2big black Australorp roos about 9 months old and 4 RIR roos bout 7 months old.but I had australorp cross roosters before I grew the pure Roosters up.or as they were growing up. And the cross roos seemed to be more aggressive. One was okay actually. But I had to cull both to cut back my roo population.and cos I'm trying to cut back down to just having my 2 pure flocks of RIRs and Australorps. But yeah the only time I pat chooks is mainly the hens when they come up for a feed. Not the roos.

With children being attacked, he need to be gone ASAP! If the previous owner will take him back, fine; otherwise, there's that crock pot, or craigslist WITH FULL DISCLOSURE.
There are good article on this site about managing, raising, and understanding rooster behavior. @Beekissed and @Shadrach , for example, and some others too. Try doing some reading, and possibly modifying your behaviors will help raise a nice guy later!
It's genetics and environment (management) both, and some cockerels will grow up awful, or wonderful, in spite of management choices.
Mary

With children being attacked, he need to be gone ASAP! If the previous owner will take him back, fine; otherwise, there's that crock pot, or craigslist WITH FULL DISCLOSURE.
There are good article on this site about managing, raising, and understanding rooster behavior. @Beekissed and @Shadrach , for example, and some others too. Try doing some reading, and possibly modifying your behaviors will help raise a nice guy later!
It's genetics and environment (management) both, and some cockerels will grow up awful, or wonderful, in spite of management choices.
Mary
Thankyou, I will definately check the articles out...so would you say that my responses to him are what caused the aggression? Because that was something I was wondering about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom