ALABAMA!!

This weekend I lost my favorite Splash silkie chick to my sister's dog.
sad.png
My fault. Took dog outside to potty. Thought she came in with the rest of the dogs. She didn't. Unsupervised she took liberty and killed a chick.

Then I went to check out if the other were okay. They were fine. However, noticed that 1 of the chick has a cross-beak. Never noticed it before and I don't think the chick got it from an injury or such. I thinks it's genetic. My question is can it be corrected?

Not a good weekend
Orps, So sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif

From what I have read on the cross-beaked chicks they live about 6 months. They have too much trouble eating the cannot eat.
hugs.gif

Orps, So sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif

From what I have read on the cross-beaked chicks they live about 6 months. They have too much trouble eating the cannot eat.
hugs.gif

That really sucks!!!

Well I guess I need to get more silkie eggs when my girls go broody again because I promised someone that I will give them 2 of my silkies and I will not give them the one that I think will die young. Which will leave me with no silkie if the one with the cross beak dies.
sad.png

That really sucks!!!

Well I guess I need to get more silkie eggs when my girls go broody again because I promised someone that I will give them 2 of my silkies and I will not give them the one that I think will die young. Which will leave me with no silkie if the one with the cross beak dies.
sad.png
I am so sorry Orps! I can't even imagine it!
hugs.gif

From what I gather, it depends on the degree of cross-beak. I don't think it can be corrected, but some can live just like other chickens. Other folks feed the bird daily themselves... that seems like a huge strain, in my opinion, but it's an option if you're so inclined. I've seen a variety of threads on the topic.

Long story short, not all is lost just yet. Wait and see how bad it is, and read about it ^^

Woo hoo! I was gifted two Wade Jeane lined Marans today. A Blue Copper Splash (like Stevie) and a Blue Copper. And I finally found my camera so I can post pictures of these guys tomorrow.

Guys I have FREE Sebright chicks!!!

They are gold hen crossed with buff rooster. They are going to be gold laced They have nice tail feathers that are standing up and just the right angle. Wings point down perfectly. (Do I sound crazy??). I'm trying to spruce up the gene pool of my Sebrights a bit. There are 17 of them.

I live in the brewton area.

.... Come on guys, how can you say no to "FREE"??

That really sucks!!! 

Well I guess I need to get more silkie eggs when my girls go broody again because I promised someone that I will give them 2 of my silkies and I will not give them the one that I think will die young.  Which will leave me with no silkie if the one with the cross beak dies.  :(

Give the chick a chance. I have a few polish chickens with that problem. They live normal lives, and their babies they have don't have crossed beaks.

Back
Top Bottom