ALABAMA!!

Hi Everyone!

I've finally wandered over here....my name is Katja, and I live between Montevallo and Jemison. This is my page here on BYC: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/tbmorgans-peeps ...saves me having to write a book here. My boy, Bowie, is already famous, having made Chicken Picture of the Week here a few months ago. He has remained refreshingly humble. I, on the other hand, have gotten quite the big head over the whole thing.

Looking forward to chatting here, and hopefully eventually meeting some of you in person!

K :)

Hi Everyone!

I've finally wandered over here....my name is Katja, and I live between Montevallo and Jemison. This is my page here on BYC: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/tbmorgans-peeps ...saves me having to write a book here. My boy, Bowie, is already famous, having made Chicken Picture of the Week here a few months ago. He has remained refreshingly humble. I, on the other hand, have gotten quite the big head over the whole thing.

Looking forward to chatting here, and hopefully eventually meeting some of you in person!

K :)

Welcome to BYC Katja. I enjoyed reading your chicken story. I also got 11 chickens and 3 Mallard ducks from Tractor Supply last March. My granddaughter wanted some chickens and she selected 3 White Leghorns, 3 Red Stars, 3 Black Australorps, 1Rosecombed Bantam and a Cornish. Seven of them were hens and all 3 Mallards were hens. I have nieces and nephews in Calera, Jemison and aronnd the South Birmingham area.

Welcome. We are not far south from you. In the upper left corner of Elmore county(Holtville). I have Cochins, light brahmas and barred rocks for now. I will likely be culling out the brahmas and PBR's as I have become very fond of my Cochins. Glad you are enjoying your birds.

I ordered some quail eggs Tuesday night. They should ship soon.

Does anyone else get extremely nervous during the incubation process?? It's just so nerve racking. Don't know why I keep doing this to myself! Lol

Alabama Chicken and Egg Festival.... maybe yall have been talking about it havent been on in awhile.... but do yall know why hey are no longer having it.
I just went to the website and it says they have stopped having it this would have been ten years....just hated to see that.

Alright, 5:30. Our little rooster boy has started crowing for the first time and nonstop at that. I think the combination of the coop being locked (to break some of the wind, normally it's open day/night) and the red light (It's real cold tonight) set him off. Opened the coop, turned off the light. So far, so good....

However!

He will need to be rehomed, last time my neighbors called the city to complain and I ended up with a code enforcer on my doorstep.

I hatched him myself from a blue/green egg. All eggs in the batch where the same shade. If you wish to check out what the egg color looks like, the gentleman who gave me the eggs also sells them at 'Frankie's market' in Helena.

He is an Ameraucana, mostly black with some silver along his back. His 'sister' is similar in coloring. He's quite handsome, if I say so myself. Straight legs, toes, beak etc. Nice beard. No defects as I can tell, but probably not show quality, however I know squat about the SOP.

He's mild mannered and curious, I leave him alone and he leaves me alone. In our flock he's bottom of the pecking order due to his age. He's 17 weeks today. Has no received any medicated food as a chick, nor has he be wormed or otherwise received medicine. Raised on Dumor and Purina. No health issues either, nice solid droppings, just felt it fair to warn that we do not medicate.

I will take pictures later, just did not want to waste time lisiting him. Time is ticking! I likely have days before he has to go into the pot.

Alright, 5:30. Our little rooster boy has started crowing for the first time and nonstop at that. I think the combination of the coop being locked (to break some of the wind, normally it's open day/night) and the red light (It's real cold tonight) set him off. Opened the coop, turned off the light. So far, so good....

However!

He will need to be rehomed, last time my neighbors called the city to complain and I ended up with a code enforcer on my doorstep.

I hatched him myself from a blue/green egg. All eggs in the batch where the same shade. If you wish to check out what the egg color looks like, the gentleman who gave me the eggs also sells them at 'Frankie's market' in Helena.

He is an Ameraucana, mostly black with some silver along his back. His 'sister' is similar in coloring. He's quite handsome, if I say so myself. Straight legs, toes, beak etc. Nice beard. No defects as I can tell, but probably not show quality, however I know squat about the SOP.

He's mild mannered and curious, I leave him alone and he leaves me alone. In our flock he's bottom of the pecking order due to his age. He's 17 weeks today. Has no received any medicated food as a chick, nor has he be wormed or otherwise received medicine. Raised on Dumor and Purina. No health issues either, nice solid droppings, just felt it fair to warn that we do not medicate.

I will take pictures later, just did not want to waste time lisiting him. Time is ticking! I likely have days before he has to go into the pot.

Man! I sure wish I had my big coop/pen finished I would love to take him off your hands. as of now I have no where to put an extra roo.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom