ALABAMA!!

Welcome! I don't have a good tractor supply story either! I got 6 buff orpington chicks last year, 5 were roos! I ended up giving 3 away. I think a racoon got the other two. They were beautiful birds. But the odds were against us. If you go that route maybe get pullets and save yourself some trouble! I'm hatching lavender orpingtons right now. I also (am trying to) breed blue australorps. In North Alabama. Welcome!

Does anyone know where I can get some black copper marans or some other type of dark brown egg layer close to the Jasper area.

Any luck? I am in birmingham & would love a dark brown layer pullet (or chick).

Looking for pullets near Birmingham, AL if anyone knows any resources... Preferably Easter Egger or Maran (or dark colored egg breed).

Welcome! I don't have a good tractor supply story either! I got 6 buff orpington chicks last year, 5 were roos! I ended up giving 3 away. I think a racoon got the other two. They were beautiful birds. But the odds were against us. If you go that route maybe get pullets and save yourself some trouble! I'm hatching lavender orpingtons right now. I also (am trying to) breed blue australorps. In North Alabama. Welcome!
Where in north AL are you? I would love to have a lavendar orpington pullet/hen.

My order from Hoover’s Hatchery came in yesterday morning. The chicks were in transit for four days (thanks, USPS, for routing them from TX to Atlanta, and then Montgomery before they finally came to the Auburn post office - they literally drove right past us TWICE!), so we expected some losses. Out of 48 chicks, 2 were DOA and four more died yesterday/last night. But the rest are vigorous and looking good. Of course, my SS cockerel was one of the casualties. If anyone near-ish to me has a SS, Mottled Ameraucana, or any other mottled/spangled roo they’d be willing to part with this spring or summer, please let me know! If I had known I was going to start this project, I’d have kept the SS cockerel I had last summer!

Of course, I have pictures. :) One RIR pullet and four EE pullets.
1F1FD936-927E-4CBC-A96E-5D80BB5A79A9.jpeg

DA6F7A08-3E32-4F8B-9A76-A7385B56B10D.jpeg

8B24936D-E89D-455D-AFF0-1D2142E2B0B8.jpeg

C782FA3C-09F6-4D6C-A70B-0D947D2D1A42.jpeg

27AD88C0-902E-4057-A0B2-FE8FEE471600.jpeg

My cat is a little TOO interested in the babies.
52BB3E1A-CBED-4D46-B0AC-EEEC321C3090.jpeg

They have been bouncing all over the crate this morning, eating like little pigs and spending very little time under their heater.
37A6A673-07A5-4539-BCC5-BFA5EFA9E3AB.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom